Manager, Strategic Analytics
Posted by School District of Philadelphia on August 22, 2016
The School District of Philadelphia is the cornerstone provider of public education in Philadelphia. For forward-thinking administrators and educators, opportunities abound. The 130,000 students entrusted to the District arrive at school every day with an extraordinary range of needs and aspirations. We are committed to delivering on their right to an excellent public school education, and we are particularly focused on ensuring every student has access to exceptional educational opportunities. Equity is our mandate. Will you join us?
The mission of the District Performance Office (DPO) is to provide timely, relevant and actionable information on the state of our students, our schools and the wide spectrum of central office services aimed to promote student outcomes. True to the spirit of collective accountability and continuous improvement, the DPO aims to establish a consistent and systematic way to assess progress against performance targets aligned to the Superintendent’s Action Plan 3.0. We achieve this mission by creating a suite of performance management tools including but not limited to: School Progress Reports; management dashboards, web applications and tools and custom reports and analysis.
The Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the District Performance Office, ensuring that various workstreams under his or her supervision are successfully executed. S/he will report directly to the Chief Performance Officer and will serve as the project manager on any combination of the aforementioned performance management tools.
Under the directional guidance of the Chief District Performance Officer and other key stakeholders, key responsibilities and functions include:
- Designs, validates and implements annual progress reports (also referred to as “scorecards” or “report cards”) that effectively evaluate the quality of our schools and/or programs.
- Designs, validates and implements management dashboards that release key performance indicators on an annual, monthly and/or quarterly basis to network leaders and central office chiefs.
- Designs, validates and implements a repository of standard or custom reports and dashboards that facilitate the development, monitoring and evaluation of comprehensive plans.
- Maintains a repository of business rules around key performance indicators; wherever applicable, identifies methodological challenges and proposes a thoughtful, well-vetted set of solutions or compromises.
- Applies data visualization principles to develop and present analysis in a clear, simplistic and impactful way.
- Collaborates with the Office of Information Systems to ensure that District-held data and business rules are successfully integrated into our central data warehouse and publically available through the Open Data Initiative as appropriate.
- Manages an efficient and effective process for the collection, cleaning, storage and analysis of both internal and third-party data sets containing District-, school-, and student-level outcomes.
- Manages a robust and effective set of quality assurance practices.
- Trains and supervises junior staff – interns, analysts, associates and senior associates – ensuring accurate and timely completion of deliverables that are “client-ready”.
- Oversees the intake, prioritization, assignment and completion of internal and external data requests.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in economics, statistics education policy, mathematics, quantitative analytics, engineering, computer science, management information systems, or a related field.
- Eight years of full-time, paid, professional experience, three years of which have included working with large longitudinal data sets.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in economics, statistics education policy, mathematics, quantitative analytics, engineering, computer science, management information systems, or a related field.
- Six years of full-time, paid, professional experience, two years of which have included working with large longitudinal data sets.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to by acceptable by the Office of Talent in collaboration with the District Performance Office.
All work experience related to the position must be included on the resume.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- statistical software packages, such as SPSS, Stata, or Excel.
- merging disparate data sources to create new data sets.
- best practices in data management, including extraction, storage, documentation and database design.
- data warehouse practices.
- Powerpoint, InDesign and/or other design software.
- supervisory methods and techniques.
Demonstrated ability to:
- supervise and coordinate the activities of staff.
- work cross-functionally to ensure that all District-held data are accurate, complete, understandable, and accessible to relevant stakeholder groups.
- communicate key findings and to tailor to senior level audiences.
- work with a sense of urgency.
- exhibit tactfulness and respect towards all colleagues.
- be optimistic and entrepreneurial.
- solve problems, anticipate issues and troubleshoots with good judgment and critical thinking.
- be detail oriented and hold self and others accountable to a high standard of quality assurance.
- communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Training and Job Opportunities: Access Services Associate, Penn Medicine – Aug 19
- Civic & Digital Media Cultivator, Cambodian Assoc. of Greater Phila.
- Teacher/Education Positions, Cambodian Assoc. of Greater Phila.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.