Language of Service and Community symposium
Posted by on March 9, 2009
THE LANGUAGE of SERVICE and COMMUNITY SYMPOSIUM
Bringing together foreign language/ESL professors and instructors who are exploring community engagement and service-learning pedagogy.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Rollins College – Winter Park, FL
The Language of Service and Community symposium will provide an opportunity to learn from colleagues from across the country about ways to enhance foreign language instruction through service-learning and community engagement pedagogy.
Call for Participation and Programs:
We invite participants to share ideas and practices through engaging presentations of innovative projects, pedagogies, and research in service-learning and community engagement pedagogy. We encourage presentations (not the reading of papers) showcasing original and engaging practices in one of several topic areas:
1. Service-learning pedagogy in foreign language and/or ESL instruction
2. Best practices with S-L pedagogy in study abroad and international experiences
3. Community engagement and community-based research projects in foreign language instruction
4. Research on the effectiveness of S-L pedagogy in language acquisition
Please send a brief RFP to email@example.com by Monday, March 9, 2009. Presenters will be notified by March 16, 2009 by e-mail.
Your RFP should have a title, abstract (100-150 words), summary of presentation topic, and names/institution of presenter(s). Note: this will be used in the Symposium Program.
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Josef Hellebrandt, Santa Clara University
Editor of Construyendo Puentes (Building Bridges): Concepts and Models for Service Learning in Spanish; Learning the Language of Global Citizenship: Service-Learning in Applied Linguistics; and Juntos: Community Partnerships in Spanish and Portuguese
For questions please contact Gabriel Barreneche, Department of Modern Languages and Literatures 407-691-1770 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration and travel Information at
More in "National Conferences & Calls for Proposal"
- Call for Proposals: 2023 Transforming STEM Higher Education Conference – Aug 15
- Virtual Youth Summit: Empowering Sustainable Change Through Youth Leadership – Jun 23-24
- Call for Proposals: 2023 Imagining America National Gathering, Radical Reckoning: Invoking the Elements for Collective Change – May 31
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.