Keep Philadelphia Beautiful seeks board members
Posted by Keep Philadelphia Beautiful on March 28, 2016
Keep Philadelphia Beautiful is expanding its current board of directors, and seeking a diverse array of leaders to apply. This is an opportune moment to join and contribute to the organization, with the board of directors building on twenty years of transformative work, and rolling up their sleeves to focus on the strategic planning and sustainable evolution of the organization for the years to come.
Keep Philadelphia Beautiful is Philadelphia’s affiliate for Keep America Beautiful, and partners with the City, the School District, and various community based organizations to carry out our mission of empowering citizens to create a more beautiful Philadelphia.
Candidates should have some demonstrated leadership experience, time to commit to strategic planning, and a passion for a sustainable, clean, civically engaged Philadelphia. Special preference will be given to candidates with experience and passion in education, environmental education, nonprofit management, sustainability, planning, public relations, and/or marketing.
If interested, please send an email to Keep Philadelphia Beautiful Executive Director Michelle Feldman at email@example.com.
The Board will support the work of Keep Philadelphia Beautiful and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by KPB’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
• Serving as a trusted advisor to the ED as s/he develops and implements Keep Philadelphia Beautiful’s strategic plan
• Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by ED for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
• Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
• Approving ED’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
• Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the ED
• Assisting the ED and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
• Partnering with the ED and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
• Serving on committees or task forces and otherwise serving the ED in the implementation of strategic goals
• Representing KPB to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
• Ensuring KPB’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities KPB serves
It is imperative that KPB Board Members consider KPB a critical investment in the community. As a result, there is an expectation that Board Members will make annual contributions that reflect that priority. The credibility of the organization and its ability to solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, is based on the buy-in of board members. KPB expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution, whether financially and/or in volunteer service, that is commensurate with their capacity.
KPB’s Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held every other month and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
• Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
• A commitment to and understanding of KPB’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
• Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of KPB’s beneficiaries
Service on KPB’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, and reasonable expenses in relation to Board Members’ duties.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Volunteers Needed: Meal Delivery Drivers for MANNA
- College and Graduate Volunteer Program, CHOP
- Volunteers Needed: Relay for Life of Moorestown Regional – Jun 4
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.