K-12 Racial Equity Coordinator, Children First
Posted by Children First on February 1, 2022
Children First is growing the Education Team to include a K-12 Racial Equity Coordinator who will play a leadership role in the expansion of our K-12 regional equity work. The Racial Equity Coordinator will be responsible for driving progress towards the K-12 goals in Children First’s Strategic Plan related to closing existing gaps and ensuring greater racial equity in access to educational resources. A key component of the position will involve engaging and recruiting diversity, equity and inclusion-focused representatives from the region’s 61 school districts to participate in Children First’s Regional Equity Committee to help steer and support the effort. The Coordinator will work closely with the K-12 Education Director on the day to day management of responsibilities.
- Propose and advance reforms that would ensure greater racial equity in access to educational resources.
- Write compelling reports and issue briefs on equity in K-12 education, share findings through meetings and presentations.
- Create unifying narratives to address “hot-topics” like critical race theory, mandatory equity audits, school climate, restorative practices, and inclusive curriculum.
- Develop and implement strategies to engage parents, students and community members in K-12 racial equity work.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with regional school district representatives and actively recruit members for Children First’s K-12 Regional Equity Committee.
- Convene, facilitate and manage monthly meetings of the Regional Equity Committee to build consensus on the Committee’s agenda and goals. Engage members of the committee to support K-12 advocacy.
- Collect data and track measurable outcomes of the Regional Equity Committee to ensure progress.
- Meet with legislators, district officials, and grassroots and grasstops leaders to advocate for policies to address K-12 goals related to racial equity.
- Build our list of supporters and supporting organizations by attending local events, pre-organized meetings, and mobilizing others to attend within school district boundaries.
- Increase visibility of our work by documenting support and field activities via social media.
- Write grant proposals and reports for funders.
- Maintain data entry of supporters into the K-12 spreadsheets and Every Action lists by school districts, counties, and key sectors.
- Stay abreast of the work of local and state partners/allies and national organizations involved in policy and advocacy in the K-12 area of work.
- Assist with Children First outreach events which may be during evening or weekend hours, and attend all in person meetings of statewide campaigns (typically three times a year in Harrisburg).
- Bicycle Coalition Youth Cycling Program Coordinator – Jun 17
- Summer Program Instructor, Workshop School
- Be a Philly pool hero: lifeguard training now open
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.