IT Software/Hardware Technician, Campaign for Working Families
Posted by on September 15, 2008
Position Description: IT Software/Hardware Technician
Reports to: Tech Team Manager, Campaign for Working Families
The Campaign for Working Families (The Campaign) provides expanded income security to low-wage workers in the Philadelphia region by increasing their access to the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and other federal credits, low cost financial services, improved financial planning, and public benefits. The Campaign for Working Families provides access to free tax preparation services which is focused on providing the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) to all eligible constituents. During the tax season, the Campaign runs a number of free tax sites throughout Philadelphia that provide free tax assistance. It also connects Philadelphia residents to other tax credits, public benefits and asset-building resources. The Campaign’s goal is to help working families move up the economic ladder.
Purpose of Position:
Seasonal position responsible for working on the Tech Team in the coordination, maintenance and delivery of the hardware/software and ancillary equipment necessary for tax preparation and electronic filing at the Campaign’s various tax sites. This individual will work with the Tech Team Manager on the installation and set up of the The Campaign Tax sites in the Philadelphia area, including hardware inventory, software distribution and connectivity. The Technician will be responsible for supporting tax sites in terms of the delivery of technical (hardware/software) support throughout the filing season. He/she may be assigned special projects related to The Campaign’s IT and data management needs.
Length of Appointment:
November-April; Average of 15-25 hours per week; 40+ hours during peak periods (December-January and April)
Duties and Responsibilities
• Install and Uninstall tax software onto computers.
• Provide set up and close down of tax site in terms of equipment including computers, printers and internet or dial up modems,etc.
• Provide day-to-day technical support for hardware and software needs to The Campaign tax sites throughout the filing season.
• Maintain electronic filing hardware inventory and specifications of hardware assigned to The Campaign tax sites, including site information and e-filing statistical data.
• Maintain and report weekly backups and data collection materials to Operations Director.
• Support the development of resources for software/hardware maintenance, repairs and upgrades.
• Provide technical phone support to end users on a variety of application and hardware issues.
• Provide day-to-day technical support for hardware and software needs to volunteer sites throughout the filing season.
• Formal education (minimum two years at secondary educational level) and working knowledge of personal computers, software and communication systems.
• Ability to learn electronic filing procedures and tax software program, including the electronic transmission of tax returns.
• Basic computer skills for developing training modules and training aides.
• Ability to acquire basic Tax law knowledge (Form 1040, Form 1040A and Form 1040EZ).
• Evening & Saturday availability
• Ability to interact with Campaign and site management team and the public in a helpful and supportive manner.
• Ability to identify and troubleshoot PC, software and printer issues.
• Enthusiasm and flexibility are key to success in this position.
Resumes along with cover letters should be directed to:
Mildred Chavarria, Director of Operations
Campaign for Working Families
1207 Chestnut St., 5th floor
Phila., PA 19107
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Family Support Counselor, Gift of Life
- Co-Executive Director, CFET – Aug 21
- Post-Secondary Success Coordinator, Girls Inc.
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.