Innovative Models to Support Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
Posted by Philadelphia Social Innovations Journal on February 13, 2017
Social Impact and Innovative Models to Support Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities and their Families Throughout the Lifespan
Thursday, March 23, 2017 – 2:00 -7:00 PM (including Reception)
Public Health Management Corporation, 1500 Market Street, Centre Square East, Philadelphia, PA 19102
We are very please to invite you to join us for the symposium and launch of the edition titled: SOCIAL IMPACT AND INNOVATIVE MODELS TO SUPPORT INDIVIDUALS WITH INTELLECTUAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES AND THEIR FAMILIES THROUGHOUT THE LIFESPAN on March 23, 2017, from 2-5 PM with a reception to follow from 5-7 PM at Public Health Management Corporation (PHMC) located at 1500 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA:
The Social Innovation Journal has joined forces with Public Health Management Corporation (PHMC)’s PersonLink, Woods Services, and Bancroft as well as businesses, government, nonprofit experts, academics and leading social innovation practitioners to discuss the most promising innovations in and for the I/DD community. The Social Innovations Journal thanks our sponsors Delta-T Group; General Health Care Resources, Woods Services, Bancroft, and Public Health Fund for their generous support to make this publication and launch conference possible.
Context: There are seven million individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) in the United States, however only 25% receive services through publicly-funded programs. The other 75% of individuals are supported by their family through informal and private services paid for with their own resources. As the health and human services system moves to a model of home and community-based services, families who have been supporting their family members at home are turning to the public system for support. Additionally, as caregivers age they need more and different innovative supports to maintain care in the home. Similarly, there are subgroups within the I/DD community with severe medical and behavioral needs whose complex needs are unmet currently in the community and whose interests may be protected by person centered and not monolith regulations. Given these trends, there has never been a time in history where innovative community programs, services and devises are needed to support the I/DD population and their families.
While services and the quality of life for individuals with disabilities has improved as a result of advocacy by families and self-advocates, available innovative technologies and services have not yet reached the I/DD population. There is still much more work to be done to fully support and include individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities in our society and to support their families in their caregiver role. As an entrepreneurial society, we have yet to embrace and support social innovations and technologies that can help to transform the lives of the I/DD community in healthcare, housing, education and the workforce.
There has never been a better time than now to present a new vision of how to facilitate and support choice and self-determination for the I/DD community. This edition and symposium will discuss how we continue to innovate services and products to better support the I/DD community and their families with partnerships between government, public and private sector, as well as highlight innovative practices that demonstrate integration, collaboration, and effective resource allocation
More in "Other Local Events and Workshops"
- PSSE Virtual Meeting: STEM in PA Landscape Report – Feb 9
- Virtual Event: Pandemic Impacts Within Higher Education and the Fields of Community/Civic Engagement – Feb 13,15
- WSFS Homebuyer Workshop: Your Next Step to Homeownership – Feb 8
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.