Homelessness & Housing Insecurity Resource Guide
Posted by Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities on December 14, 2021
Homelessness and housing insecurity is a growing challenge among students, employees, and community members, which has only been exacerbated by the pandemic. Our urban-serving institutions have a unique and critical role to play in studying, explaining, and addressing these issues. As part of this work,the Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU) invited the Homelessness Research & Action Collaborative at Portland State University to lead a series of conversations and events on homelessness and housing insecurity.
A primary outcome of this work is the publication of a Homelessness & Housing Insecurity Resource Guide, which provides frequently-requested materials and showcases new research and emerging best practices from CUMU member institutions. The guide is organized into the following sections:
- Survey tools to help you understand the scope of basic needs insecurity among your students and employees
- National studies on basic needs insecurity at colleges and universities
- Studies on academic impacts of basic needs insecurity among students
- Research centers studying homelessness and housing insecurity at CUMU member institutions
- Housing program examples to address homelessness and housing insecurity at CUMU member institutions
- Videos from CUMU events on homelessness and housing insecurity action summit and follow-on activities
- Additional resources, including several with a specific focus on incorporating equity in research and operations
More in "New Resources"
- Article: Where Poverty Stubbornly Persists
- Immigrant Heritage Month Resources from the Free Library
- Juneteenth in Philadelphia from the Free Library
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.