High School Teachers, YESPhilly Accelerated High School
Posted by YESPhilly on August 1, 2016
High School Teachers
The YESPhilly Accelerated High School is a small school serving youth who have previously dropped out of Philadelphia area Public Schools. YESPhilly has a strong youth engagement/development model that helps students address many of the challenges they face, while preparing them for a successful transition to post-secondary training or employment. We are looking for an engaging, passionate and resourceful teachers to add to our team in 2016-2017.
Our teachers must be high-energy individuals with in-depth knowledge of his/her discipline and a strong interest in teaching at-risk, urban youth. The ideal candidate will deliver rigorous, learner-centered lessons aligned to standards that support the wide variety of students within the classroom. They must be able teach the knowledge and skills, inspire the passion, and intentionally cultivate the lifelong habits needed for our students to achieve their goals and positively impact the community. Our teachers plan and prepare lessons that utilize a variety of instructional strategies and use both formative and summative assessments that result in deeper learning and engaged self-directed learners. They work collaboratively to deliver cross-curricular instruction and work together on project-based learning opportunities. Teachers implement classroom management techniques to create a safe and supportive classroom environment that demands the best quality work from all students, with the support of administrative staff. Teachers participate in and lead professional development. They communicate and collaborate professionally with other staff, parents and community members to support student growth.
• Belief that all students should be held to high standards
• Positive attitude and a drive for personal excellence
• Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students
• Ability to adjust instructional strategies in order to reach individual student and school-wide goals
• Receptiveness to feedback and a desire to continuously improve
• Strong sense of accountability for both student achievement and personal development
• Proven ability to maintain an orderly classroom environment
• Eagerness to bring new ideas to table
• Bachelor’s degree and requisite teacher’s certification
• Demonstrated expertise in subject area
• Successful classroom teaching experience in an urban middle or high school or other setting serving under-resourced youth
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: model professionalism; adhere to YESPhilly school policies, procedures and deadlines; maintain grades and attendance in school’s database system; arrive/leave school on daily basis per scheduled hours; and perform other duties as assigned.
Compensation & Position Hours:
Positions are for the 2016-2017 school year. The applicant will be expected to be available to start no later than August 29, 2016. The instructor hours are from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday–Friday. This is not a contract position. All instructors are at-will employees. All candidates must provide Child Abuse, Criminal Background, and FBI Fingerprint Clearances prior to starting a position at YESPhilly. Interested candidates should send a cover letter, a resume, references and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.