Healthy Futures – Health Promotion Council VISTA
Posted by Health Promotion Council on December 4, 2018
The Chronic Disease Management and Prevention VISTA will be involved as a critical team member within the Training and Capacity Building (TCAP) Department of Health Promotion Council, which covers a broad area capacity building and training within our organization and for others which includes; policy and systems change research, design and advocacy. The focus of the VISTA’s work will be on implementing the Self-Management Resource Center’s (SMRC) Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP) within the Public Health Management Corporation’s (PHMC) Health Network of six Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) in Philadelphia. The TCAP VISTA will work with the team to conduct outreach within the PHMC Health Centers to develop a recruitment system to enroll patients in the DSMP and possibly the National DPP. The VISTA will be trained as a lay leader/facilitator for the SMRC, Chronic Disease Self-Management (CDSM) and DSMP, and as a National DPP Lifestyle Coach, to have the greatest opportunity to educate populations throughout the region. The VISTA’s role will include research, writing/reporting, data collection, management and data entry, public speaking, meeting coordination, preparation, and recording and disseminating pre/post meeting materials.
- Establish an outreach and recruitment protocol for the identified zip codes to attract participants for the chronic disease self-management and prevention programs offered using best practices and evidence from previous grantees.
- Establish a list of current and potential recruitment partners.
- Develop a protocol and process for conducting outreach and recruitment utilizing community events, mail, email and telephone and establishing a contact list for HPC program.
- Recruit/schedule lay leaders/facilitators and lifestyle coaches to be trained or to conduct workshops. 5. Complete required program forms for participant data collection and input data into spreadsheets for program reporting and analysis.
- Conduct research as needed and assigned on best practices, statistics, and innovation in the field of public health related to chronic disease prevention and management.
- Maintain workshop schedules, update HPC website and other sites as needed.
Program Benefits: Childcare assistance if eligible, Living Allowance, Health Coverage, Training , Relocation Allowance, Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
Terms: Permits attendance at school during off hours, Permits working at another job during off hours
Service Areas: Health, Community and Economic Development, Education
Skills : Community Organization, Recruitment, Communications, General Skills, Public Speaking, Public Health, Team Work, Fund raising/Grant Writing .
Apply through the AmeriCorps VISTA portal: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=79285&fromSearch=true
- National Health Corps: Community Health Fellowship
- Adult Education Associate, AFAHO – Feb 28
- Executive Director, Joseph’s House of Camden
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.