HBCU Summer Fellowship, Defender Association of Philadelphia – Mar 31
Posted by Defender Association of Philadelphia on March 28, 2023
Are you a current student or grad of HBCU interested in racial equity!
The Defender Association of Philadelphia has partnered with the Black Public Defender Association (BPDA) to sponsor a HBCU Summer Fellowship this summer to be an integral part of our Junior Defenders program and work closely with our Program Coordinator. This is a fully paid, full time position for the summer. Junior Defenders is a community education program designed for middle and high school students who attend school in neighborhoods disproportionately impacted by the criminal legal system. The purpose of the Junior Defenders is to educate youth about the courts, engage young people to become leaders in their schools and community and engage in prosocial behavior leading to safer and healthier communities.
What You’ll Do
- Accompany the Junior Defenders (middle & high school students) during weekly sessions to court watch and shadow Defenders at work,
- Facilitate debriefs of court watch sessions and shadowing opportunities
- Work as Junior Defender team lead to create the supplemental legal materials
- Serve as youth navigator to refer children who have been arrested and their families who attend community lawyering events to the Youth Participatory Defense hub, as appropriate
- Scheduling the community lawyering events, including monthly Barber Shop series and working to promote the event on social media,
- Attending the specialized training for attorneys
- Provide feedback on the implementation of this pilot project
Deadline to apply is March 31, 2023.
More in "Job Opportunities/AmeriCorps Opportunities"
- Stoneleigh Foundation Emerging Leader Fellowship: Addressing the Trauma and Fear Arising from Gun and Community Violence in Philadelphia’s Asian Communities – Jun 9
- Manager, Dow Corporate Volunteer Program, LaSalle Nonprofit Center – Jul 24
- Communications Director, Philadelphia Orchard Project – Jun 26
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.