Growing Assistants, Food Moxie
Posted by Food Moxie on February 26, 2018
The Growing Assistant (GA) will be responsible for assisting the activation and safety of Food Moxie’s growing spaces from April through October. In collaboration with the community, and under the direction of the Manager of Growing Spaces (MoGS) they support the seeding, planting, harvesting and maintenance of growing sites that include seasonal produce, flowers, and herbs. The GA works collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and community members to ensure that space is conducive to delivering innovative farm, gardening, culinary literacy, and nutrition programs using a team-based approach. The GA has a strong work ethic, the ability to adapt, and a strong commitment to Food Moxie’s mission and values. They are dependable, consistent, and able to establish trust and rapport with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds at all ages and stages.
Reports to: Manager of Growing Spaces
Growing Space Activation & Safety
● In coordination with the MoGS, create and maintain safe & hospitable site environments
● Maintain order & cleanliness of growing spaces, facilities, gear, & equipment
● Orient visitors to perimeters and location of necessities (restrooms, first aid kit, etc.)
● Monitor all aspects of safety including identification and removal of hazards
Community-Informed Farming & Gardening
● In collaboration with the MoGS, execute a crop plan that will ensure the growing of relevant seasonal produce, herbs, and flowers in growing spaces
● Assist with maintenance and beautification of growing spaces, including tilling, planting, seeding, and fertilizer application
● Harvest, wash, dry or bunch, and prep produce
● Support weekly food distribution plan ensuring that food is distributed to partner sites and/or other community partners
● Assist with monthly farmstand as needed, including setup/breakdown, merchandising, and cash management
● Under direction of MoGS, prepare growing spaces, tools, equipment, and greenhouse for cold weather, including greenhouse/hoop house planting and related tasks
● Implement pest management solutions with attention to organic and sustainable practices
Record Keeping, Documentation & Meetings
● Participate in weekly meetings with supervisor
● Participate in team meetings as indicated
● Ensure timesheet, reimbursements, and other forms are accurate and submitted in a timely manner
● At least one year of relevant experience
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
● Experience working with communities of color, with a nuanced understanding of systemic oppressions
● Ability to work with people at all ages and stages from diverse backgrounds, including children/youth, those experiencing homelessness, and those with differing intellectual and/or physical abilities
● Team oriented and has high level of comfort asking for assistance when needed; able to take direction and work effectively independently and solve problems collaboratively
● Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable
● Ability to lift 50 pounds; to walk, stand, kneel, or bend for long periods of time
● Ability to travel between Food Moxie growing sites
JOB PARTICULARS & COMPENSATION
Type: Seasonal, Part Time (25hrs/wk), Non-Exempt (occasional evenings/weekends)
Sites: All Sites, Community Events
To apply: Send a resume and thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and explaining how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line: Growing Assistant.
2/23/18 March 9, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will contact only those candidates whose experience meets our requirements. No phone calls please.
Process: We will conduct short phone interviews to screen qualified applicants on a rolling basis.
▪ In-person interviews will begin in mid-February
▪ Employment for the 2018 season will begin in March
Note: Before the start of employment, any potential employee must pass:
▪ PA Child Abuse History Clearance;
▪ PA Criminal Record Check; and
▪ FBI Criminal Background Check.
Staff working directly with children must complete the free online course mandated by PA on Recognizing & Reporting Child Abuse.
FOOD MOXIE values and promotes a culture of inclusion, seeking staff from diverse backgrounds.
FOOD MOXIE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected factor.
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.