Greenworks: A Vision for a Sustainable Philadelphia
Posted by City of Philadelphia on November 14, 2016
On November 2, Mayor Jim Kenney released Greenworks: A Vision for a Sustainable Philadelphia, the City of Philadelphia’s new comprehensive sustainability plan. Speaking at the Parkway Central Library, Mayor Kenney outlined his Administration’s plan for a healthier, greener Philadelphia.
“The goal of our Administration is to ensure that every Philadelphian – no matter what zip code they live in – is able to thrive and succeed. Sustainability is a key part of ensuring that every resident is healthy, lives in a quality neighborhood, and has the opportunity to prosper,” said Mayor Jim Kenney. Building on progress over the past decade, the plan sets eight long term visions to create a more sustainable, equitable, and vibrant city. Each Greenworks vision will help create a city where all Philadelphians enjoy benefits from sustainability, including improved public health, a clean environment, and opportunities to learn, work, and prosper. Greenworks envisions:
- A city where all residents have access to healthy food and drinking water.
- A city where everyone can breathe clean air.
- A city where everyone has access to clean, affordable energy.
- A city that is carbon neutral and prepared for climate change.
- A city where everyone has access to quality parks and green open spaces.
- A city where every resident has access to safe and affordable transportation.
- A litter-free Philadelphia that wastes less and recycles more.
- And a City where all Philadelphians benefit from sustainability education, employment, and economic opportunities.
“We are proud to share our new plan and want to thank all of the city departments, residents, community groups, and issue experts who contributed to it,” said Christine Knapp, Director of the Office of Sustainability. “The success of Greenworks will depend on the many partners within and beyond city government who have embraced these visions and are already playing a leadership role in driving them forward.”
Additionally, the Office of Sustainability also announced new tools and resources as part of the updated Greenworks plan:
- Greenworks on the Ground: Guides to help residents, communities, and institutions work toward each of the Greenworks visions.
- Greenworks Dashboard: An online platform to provide up-to-date sustainability data.
- Greenworks Equity Index: A data-driven approach to identify communities not currently benefiting from sustainability and improve outcomes in those areas, forthcoming in spring 2017.
More in "New Resources"
- Thinking outside the box: Watson sets a new vision for Diversity, Inclusion and Civic Engagement (Rutgers Camden)
- Higher Education’s Anchor Mission: A Sharpened Imperative & A Framework for Action
- 2022 Kids Count Data Book: National, State-by-State Data Show Depth of Mental Health Pandemic for Youth
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.