Grants Manager, School of Arts and Sciences
Posted by University of Pennsylvania on December 5, 2016
The School of Arts and Sciences is seeking a new Grants Manager. The successful candidate for the Grants Manager position will have the ability to work with, and the desire to learn from, management and more experienced co-workers. The position will also provide cross-functional support for the Chemistry Business Office.
Duties: The position will have the following responsibilities:
* Manage proposal development, budget development and related pre-award issues for a diverse sponsor portfolio
* Assist with proposal submission (electronic and paper submissions) and follow-ups as needed
* Apply knowledge of Office of Management and Budget (
* Manage post-award processes including monitoring and review of all charges to sponsored projects, the reconciliation of accounts, and production of monthly financial reports for Principal Investigators, including fund projections
* Monitor and enforce compliance with sponsor guidelines
* Routinely meet with Principal Investigators to discuss and advise them on financial and HR issues related to their research budget (pre-and post-award) and to secure their approval (signature) of reports
* As part of primary grant responsibilities, perform transaction work (payroll, graduate funding, etc.) as it relates to grant management. When not in conflict with primary grant responsibilities, it is expected that this position will be available to assist with non-grant related transaction work (payroll, graduate funding, reimbursements, etc.) within the business office.
* Work collaboratively with and provide training to Grants Coordinator
Qualifications: The successful candidate for the Grants Manager position will have the following qualifications:
* Bachelor’s degree and 3 to 5 years pre- and post- award experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required
* Experience with and other federal granting agencies is required
* Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Adobe applications, Business Objects
* Excellent critical thinking, analytical, verbal and written communication is required
* Ability to apply solid organizational and time management to a deadline driven, multiple priority work environment is required
* The ability to be comfortable working in a frequently changing environment, and to function as part of a team
* Familiarity with sponsored research policies and related financial systems is a plus
This position requires a candidate who exhibits an engaged and responsible attitude and possesses the ability to work effectively with both faculty and staff members. We are seeking a candidate possessing a pro-active work style with strong follow-up skills and the ability and desire to add value to the sponsored research enterprise. This position requires the ability to work well under pressure. The successful candidate should clearly demonstrate attention for detail, highly effective interpersonal skills and the ability to enforce grant guidelines with constituents in a professional, diplomatic and assertive manner. A successful candidate will exhibit a professional presence which will allow the candidate to take ownership of the grants process, and an ability to react quickly in a deadline-driven environment is highly preferred. A successful candidate will possess an ability to switch gears depending on project deadlines and an ability to collaborate well with individuals of diverse backgrounds and skill sets within different areas of the School. The Grants Manager must be eager to take on greater responsibility and proactively work on professional development skills. Experience with and other federal granting agencies is required.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Why Penn? https://www.hr.upenn.edu/whypenn
- Social Worker, Puentes de Salud
- 2022-2023 Cohort, Community Resource Corps, City of Phila.
- Outreach Coordinator, ASAP/After School Activities Partnerships
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.