Grant Specialist, Defender Association of Philadelphia
Posted by Defender Association of Philadelphia on November 29, 2022
The Grant Specialist will support the mission of the Defender Association of Philadelphia and is responsible for all aspects of grant activities in compliance with the organization’s goals and objectives. Reporting to the Director of Policy, the Grant Specialist will collaborate with all Units to play an essential role in fundraising to support the Defender’s critical initiatives across Units that require external funding, in deepening relationships with current foundation funders/potential funders, and in furthering the organization’s growth goals by identifying new funding opportunities. The Grant Specialist oversees the grant application process from beginning to end as well as writing grant proposals and reports, producing responses to government RFPs (Request for Proposals), and researching foundations and other potential funding opportunities. Working closely with the executive and management teams of all our Units and staff across the organization, the Grant Specialist plays an essential role in Defender’s identification of funding needs, fundraising and program growth. This is a hybrid position.
What You’ll Do
- Researches various types of grants available to further our strategic initiatives, criminal justice reform initiatives, indigent defense, youth justice, child advocacy, community education and non-profit leadership/training development and identifies the criteria to qualify for each.
- Discusses available sources of funding with the executive and management teams. Prioritizes funding needs.
- Compiles necessary information and verifies its accuracy for the application process through collaboration with other employees, database research, and other factfinding actions and meetings.
- Works closely with Finance Departments to develop grant budgets and budget narratives
- Writes concise, articulate and persuasive grant proposals and narratives
- Drafts and completes grant applications according to application requirements.
- Ensures grant is submitted on time and within application parameters.
- Completes all documents, forms, or reports required by the grant.
- Ensures compliance with all awarded grant requirements, including reports and deliverables
- Coordinates the monitoring and evaluation of programs and projects that are funded by grants.
- Serves as a liaison to funding agencies
- Develops relationships with new and existing funders.
- Develops and maintains master files on grants and paperwork connected to programs funded by grants.
- Incorporates criminal legal system information into required documents
- Assists with Community Education and other development projects
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.