GrandFamily Educator (Full Time), SOWN – Jan 31
Posted by Supportive Older Women's Network (SOWN) on January 11, 2022
The Supportive Older Women’s Network (SOWN) is seeking a GrandFamily Educator (GE) to provide a range of family literacy services to children aged 3–8 and their grandparent caregivers. The GE will also participate in community outreach, data collection, project planning, and other activities as part of the Philly Families Read Together literacy program. The GE will have demonstrated experience working with preschool and young learners and teaching in a culturally and linguistically sensitive manner in an urban environment. S/he/they will hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in education, and have a minimum of two years of teaching experience.
The GE will have the following responsibilities:
- Facilitate community–based workshop series designed to help grandparents build the literacy/language skills of their grandchildren
- Coordinate interactive literacy activities and special events for families to increase and expand children’s language, vocabulary, reading, and use of words/language
- Engage in outreach to community organizations, schools, aging service programs and other educational/human service programs
- Develop individualized Family Support Plans with each family to set goals, identify learning/literacy activities, track progress, and support retention
- Coordinate and facilitate digital literacy skills workshops for grandparents
- Provide individual assessment and literacy–building activities one–on–one, teaching language literacy skills to young children (aged 3–8)
- Collaborate with child’s teachers/learning specialists, partner organizations and consultants to improve child’s learning and assess program’s impact on child’s literacy
Provide information and referral to other organizations, including assisting with accessing quality Head Start, preschools, school–based special services or accommodations, behavioral health care services, and other needed services
- Work as a member of a team to ensure high quality program development, implementation, and coordination
- Participate in program reviews, reports, and meetings
- Advocate for the needs of grandfamilies with other systems
- Other responsibilities as needed
Full time position. Monday through Friday employment. Occasional evening/weekends as needed; scheduling interactive literacy activities for grandfamilies requires some flexibility. Car needed to travel throughout Philadelphia. Services are currently provided through an in–person/remote hybrid model, which is subject to change based on COVID–19 safety guidelines.
Accountability: The GrandFamily Educator will report to the Family Literacy Project Leader.
Apply by January 31, 2022. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and letter of interest.
- Assistant Director for Local Service and Community Engagement, Villanova Univ. – Nov 1
- Site Coordinator, Playworks
- Administrative and Event Associate., Bicycle Coalition
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.