Garden Justice Legal Initiative Community Organizer, PILCOP
Posted by on December 09, 2013
The Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia, a nationally-renowned public interest law firm devoted to equality and systemic change, is currently seeking a part-time community organizer for the Garden Justice Legal Initiative.
Garden Justice Legal Initiative Community Organizer
The organizer will work on campaigns aimed at ensuring that community farmers and gardeners in Philadelphia have the resources and tools they need to preserve their individual farms and gardens, and supporting movement building, self advocacy, and informed leadership to effect equitable and meaningful reforms needed for community land and food security at the neighborhood, city, and state levels.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Engage in strategic, on-the-ground outreach to Philadelphia’s growing numbers of gardens and farms, prioritizing more legally vulnerable projects and economically vulnerable communities to provide information on legal rights, resources, and opportunities for advocacy
- Work with neighborhood-based and youth partner organizations, volunteers, and interns to interview gardeners and farmers on challenges and resource needs
- Conduct neighborhood-based and citywide workshops on legal and policy issues related to urban agriculture, community planning, and vacant land
- Coordinate meetings of Healthy Foods Green Spaces and continue to build the coalition as a vocal constituency and support network for community driven land-based projects, starting with gardens and farms
- Work with Grounded in Philly, an interactive, web-based mapping and organizing tool, to help individuals and groups in Philadelphia identify, organize around, and obtain legal access to publicly- and privately-owned vacant land in Philadelphia, as well as provide information about pathways to protect land for Philadelphia groups that are already land stewards
- Send out action alerts and monthly newsletters to keep gardeners, farmers, coalition members, and allies informed and prepared for advocacy, educational, and networking opportunities. Serve as a liaison to other organizations within Philadelphia that share similar goals
This position will report to the staff attorney for the Garden Justice Legal Initiative.
- Career Specialist, Welcoming Center – Mar 12
- Community Program Manager – Mar 25
- Quaker Voluntary Service Fellowship – Mar 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.