Farm Assistant, Mill Creek Farm
Posted by on May 27, 2013
Mill Creek Farm • Farm Assistant
The Mill Creek Farm (http://www.millcreekurbanfarm.org), a leader in the food justice and urban farming movement in Philadelphia, seeks an assistant for its farm and education programs. This is a full-time, seasonal position: from the end of June to the end of November 2013.
The Farm Assistant will assist the Farm Manager with food production, educational programs for interns, visitors, and groups, training of apprentices and volunteers, farm stand operation, equipment maintenance, record keeping, community outreach, and newsletter submissions.
- In coordination with the Farm Manager, manage all aspects of food production, and distribution and farm maintenance.
- Lead educational tours for visitors, youth, and neighbors including benefits and practices of sustainable urban agriculture and food justice.
- Train and support apprentices and farm volunteers.
- Operate weekly Farm stands (Wednesdays and Saturdays) including: harvest, set-up/clean-up, sales, records, and outreach.
- Coordinate weekly orders and deliveries with Mariposa Food Co-op/Fresh Food Hub/food cupboard.
- Document and keep records, including but not limited to volunteer hours, harvests, sales, and donation logs for monthly reports.
- Work with high school youth in the summer internship to develop an integrated experience that encompasses both food-systems education and work experience including curriculum planning.
- Maintain equipment and infrastructure.
- Conduct marketing and outreach to community organizations, neighbors, leaders, etc. in cooperation with the Acting Director.
- Attend appropriate fundraising and networking events.
- Assist with onsite special events (i.e. barbeques, garlic planting).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Farming experience, including knowledge of sustainable agriculture, farm management, and organic growing practices
- Demonstrable experience in educational setting (experiencing leading groups and managing volunteers strongly preferred)
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people
- Ability to teach agricultural concepts on a basic level
- Experience facilitating youth programming and fostering youth empowerment
- Ability to lift at least 40 pounds
- Valid drivers license
Candidates should also possess a strong work ethic, flexibility, strong leadership and group management skills, a sense of humor, enthusiasm, and good communication skills.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume by May 31, 2013 to: email@example.com with “Farm Assistant” in the subject line.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and pending funding for the fall.
The Mill Creek Farm is an educational urban farm located in West Philadelphia that is dedicated to improving local access to fresh produce, building a healthy community and environment, and promoting a just and sustainable food system. The Mill Creek Farm is part of A Little Taste of Everything, a small 501(c) 3 charitable organization in transition.
MCF is an equal opportunity employer and an inclusive organization. We are committed to developing leaders from communities historically disenfranchised from healthy food access, including the poor and working class, people of color, immigrants, and seniors and youth. People from these groups, women, GLBTQ people, and neighborhood residents are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Project Assistant (F.A.C.E), School District of Phila.
- Policy Director, YSRP – Aug 27
- K-12 Program Specialist II, Grades 5-6 (Full Time)
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.