Executive Director, West Mt. Airy Neighbors (WMAN)
Posted by West Mt. Airy Neighbors (WMAN) on June 23, 2014
West Mt. Airy Neighbors Searches for a New Executive Director
West Mt. Airy Neighbors (WMAN), the community association for the West Mt. Airy neighborhood of northwest Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is seeking a new Executive Director. The mission of WMAN is to serve as a community-based volunteer organization committed to preserving and enhancing the quality of life in its richly diverse urban neighborhood.
WMAN was founded in 1959 to create and sustain West Mt. Airy as a racially integrated community. From the beginning, WMAN has sought to make its community a welcoming home for all people. To this day, West Mt. Airy remains one of the few stable, racially integrated communities in the United States.
WMAN provides a community forum for: community problem solving, communications, volunteers to organize for community improvement; and neighbor input into proposed development.
WMAN is seeking an Executive Director to work with the West Mt. Airy community and its Board of Directors in efforts to build a strong self-sustaining nonprofit community organization.
The Executive Director is the Chief Operating Officer of WMAN. The Executive Director reports to the President of the Board and serves as a non-voting staff member to board meetings.
The chief responsibilities of the Executive Director are:
• To work with the Board to set the strategic direction of WMAN and redefine the role of the Executive Director in light of the strategic plan. Assure that WMAN has a long-range strategy that achieves its vision, mission, and goals.
• Serve as the spokesperson for and represent WMAN publicly at meetings and forums, as needed; enhance its visibility in the community; and, educate the community about WMAN’s mission.
• Cultivate new and maintain/strengthen existing relationships on behalf of WMAN with other organizations, city agencies, members, the general public, media, governmental officials and other important stakeholders.
• Manage the annual operating budget and organizational finances ensuring the financial stability of the organization and overseeing all aspects of resource development, with assistance from the Board and the Finance Committee.
• Increase volunteer participation by fostering diverse community representation.
• Increase corporate support, grant funding, and individual memberships and donations, and build relationships with existing and potential corporate and community sponsors.
• Ensure planning and execution of quality programming and events.
• Manage day to day office operations and human resources of the organization.
• Prioritize initiatives and effort to ensure maximum impact with reasonable time and resources including balancing personal commitment.
• Perform other relevant duties as needed and defined by WMAN.
A B.A./B.S. is required. Experience in community organizing, non-profit management, or related field is
This position requires attendance at community meetings and events on evenings and weekends in Northwest Philadelphia. Thus, reliable transportation is required.
Candidates are asked to email resumes and cover letter by July 11, 2014 to Della Lazarus, Co-Chair, Search Committee at: email@example.com
- Assistant Group Supervisor Aide Seasonal Summer 2022 (Full-Time Temporary)
- Gaudenzia Job Fair, Wilmington, DE – Jun 2
- Bicycle Coalition Youth Cycling Program Coordinator – Jun 17
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.