Executive Director, Keep Philadelphia Beautiful
Posted by Keep Philadelphia Beautiful on August 20, 2018
Keep Philadelphia Beautiful
Keep Philadelphia Beautiful is looking for a collaborative, innovative and creative Executive Director who can step into a passionate organization with a big mission and continue to build sustainable capacity, strong programming and organizational reputation.
Are you a changemaker? Do you believe community beautification leads to healthier, safer and more economically viable neighborhoods? Is rolling up your sleeves part of your mission? Do you thrive on building relationships with diverse groups to spark collective action? Do you love Philadelphia?
Then join us, as we work to make Philadelphia a beautiful city to live, work and play.
Keep Philadelphia Beautiful, a Keep America Beautiful affiliate, is a small but vibrant citywide nonprofit that convenes, equips and empowers people to use community beautification to achieve vibrant neighborhoods. We collaborate, educate and provide resources to ignite collective action and neighborhood pride.
The Keep Philadelphia Beautiful team is focused on creating a cleaner and greener city. Through dynamic programming, we visit classrooms and civic meetings across Philadelphia to speak about recycling, waste reduction and how we can build a litter-free city together. We serve as a resource and convener for civic organizations and passionate neighborhood leaders. And we activate hundreds of Philadelphians to roll up their sleeves to paint, plant, weed and yes, pick up litter.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, this highly visible role oversees the organization’s daily operations and programming to ensure the goals and mission of Keep Philadelphia Beautiful are achieved. As the face of Keep Philadelphia Beautiful, the person in this role also cultivates and manages key stakeholder relationships to enhance community presence, ensure fiscal sustainability and deliver outcome-based programming.
Leadership and Management:
• Advocate for the Keep Philadelphia Beautiful mission.
• Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, timely and high-quality delivery of organization’s deliverables, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of nonprofit finance and administration, fundraising and communications. Maintain strong Keep America Beautiful affiliate status.
• Actively engage and inspire Keep Philadelphia Beautiful volunteers, part-time staff, board members, partners and funders. In addition, recruit and supervise interns, part-time staff and coordinate third-party service providers.
• Steward and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board engagement, including through Keep Philadelphia Beautiful’s first strategic planning process.
Communications and Development:
• Strengthen the Keep Philadelphia Beautiful brand via strategic and integrated communication channels and campaigns. Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web and social media to partner communications, resources, traditional media and events.
• Diversify Keep Philadelphia Beautiful’s revenue streams and build development strategy to support existing program operations and build organizational capacity. Identify and cultivate new funding opportunities.
• Ensure all contracts, grants, and other funder obligations are managed to a high level of quality and completion; submit timely reporting and other due diligence, and develop/maintain strong relationships with funders.
• Ensure and/or oversee ongoing maintenance, organization, and documentation of organization’s systems and procedures.
• Create, evaluate and manage overall day-to-day implementation of Keep Philadelphia Beautiful programming, with support of a part-time staff member, volunteers and partners.
• Build and manage strategic relationships, including with City agencies, Keep America Beautiful and Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful, community based organizations, schools and teachers, and local businesses – to implement and grow Keep Philadelphia Beautiful programming
• Support and complement citywide initiatives such as the Philly Spring Cleanup, Zero Waste and Litter Cabinet spearheaded by the Managing Director’s Office, and the School District’s GreenFutures plan.
• Identify areas for new outcome-based program development, including points for collaboration and partnership efforts with other organizations.
Qualification and Skills:
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, environmental science, public health, education, or related field required, combined with a minimum of three years non-profit management and volunteer management experience. Degree in related fields will be considered and Master’s degree preferred.
• Demonstrated track record of effectively leading and scaling outcomes-based programs and/or organization.
• Demonstrated results in grant writing, fundraising, and the development of funding sources.
• Preferred experience working with city/government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
• Demonstrated history of building strong relationships across a diverse constituency; background in community organizing or similar field is a plus.
• Experience preparing budgets and reviewing/preparing financial reports.
Skills and Knowledge:
• Knowledge of Philadelphia’s vibrant neighborhoods and cultural identities, an awareness of community needs, and competence with regard to the mission and programs of the organization.
• Possess a high level of organization with an entrepreneurial spirit, creativity and self-motivation.
• Collaborative and engaging leadership capabilities and skills amongst a wide-range of stakeholders.
• Strong written, verbal and strategic communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Experience with design, web and newsletter management software tools and social media platforms.
Keep Philadelphia Beautiful offers a generous compensation and benefits package commensurate with education and experience.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title ‘Executive Director Opportunity’ in the subject line of the email by September 14.
Keep Philadelphia Beautiful is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Keep Philadelphia Beautiful is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. All employment decisions at Keep Philadelphia Beautiful are made without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability or military/veteran status, or any other protected class as set forth under applicable State, Local and Federal Civil Rights Laws.
- Associate Director (2 Positions), Civic House, UPenn – Jun 5
- Associate Director, Workforce & Economic Impact, Drexel – May 29
- Executive Director, ArtWell – Jun 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.