Executive Director, Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture
Posted by Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture on July 28, 2020
After 18 years, Al-Bustan’s Founding Director has decided to transition from her role (read more here), and the organization is seeking new leadership.
Rooted in Arab arts and language, Al-Bustan Seeds of Culture offers artistic and educational programming that enriches cross-cultural understanding and celebrates diversity. “Al-Bustan,” Arabic for “The Garden,” is a non-profit 501(c)(3) that serves youth and adults of all ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds, while supporting the pursuit and affirmation of Arab American cultural identity and playing a constructive civic role within broader American society.
In December 2019 Al-Bustan moved to a storefront location at 3645 Lancaster Avenue in West Philadelphia. This new administrative and programming hub enabled us to cultivate relationships with neighboring residents and business owners of Powelton and Mantua. We envision creating a welcoming cultural place for all by partnering with cultural, social service, and other neighborhood organizations. As the pandemic forced the closing of our hub since mid-March, our team has been working remotely and pursuing alternative means of implementing programs and engaging with community members outdoors and online, until it is deemed safe to re-open our hub.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s administration and implementation of its strategic direction, as well as managing its staff and programs. Other key responsibilities include fundraising and oversight of marketing and community outreach.
1) Mission and Strategy Fulfillment: works with board and staff to ensure that the organization’s mission is fulfilled
through programs, community outreach, and strategic planning, with responsibility for:
- Envisioning and implementing Al-Bustan’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission (program
implementation includes planning with staff, monitoring progress, assessing impact, and adjusting scope as
- Envisioning and managing the implementation of Al-Bustan’s marketing campaign and communication strategy
- Enhancement of Al-Bustan’s presence in the city and beyond by cultivating partnerships and collaborating with other professional, civic, and private organizations
- Strategic planning to ensure that the organization can successfully fulfill its mission into the future
2) Operations: oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are
appropriate, with responsibility for:
- Effective administration of Al-Bustan’s operations
- Hiring, retention, and management of competent, qualified staff
- Overseeing independent contractors
- Signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization
3) Financial Performance and Viability: develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization, with responsibility for:
- Fiscal integrity of Al-Bustan to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization; overseeing preparation of 990 tax returns and liaising with accountant and auditor on all financial matters
- Prudent fiscal management to include operating within the Board approved budget (currently around $500,000), ensuring maximum resource utilization, maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position, and reviewing/maintaining necessary insurance policies
- Fundraising (grants, individual giving, corporate sponsors, earned income) and pursuing other resources necessary to support Al-Bustan’s mission
4) Board Governance: works with the Board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission, with responsibility for:
- Leading Al-Bustan in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of
- Communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions
Learn more and apply: https://www.albustanseeds.org/about/opportunities/
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.