ESL Instructor/CDA Support Specialist, Congreso
Posted by Congreso de Latinos Unidos on October 17, 2016
Congreso de Latinos Unidos, Inc., a dynamic nonprofit, is currently seeking an PT ESL Instructor/CDA Support Specialist to work in Congreso’s Education and Workforce (EWS) division. This position provides professional and expert instruction in English as a Second Language (ESL) to students, whose primary language is not English, as well as providing case management and workforce development for students in the Child Development Associate’s (CDA) Program. The provision of instruction, assessment, and evaluations should advance students’ ability to understand and communicate in English for personal, social, and economic self-sufficiency. This position also provides instruction in Digital Literacy to students in need of improving their technological skills by utilizing the KEYSPOT computer labs.
Instruction will adhere to Congreso’s Primary Client Model (PCM) for group facilitation and be delivered through pedagogically sound lessons which include the use of technology such as recordings, computer software, and Internet learning resources wherever appropriate and possible.
Congreso is a multiservice nonprofit organization whose mission is to strengthen Latino communities through social, economic, education, and health services; leadership development and advocacy. Founded in Philadelphia in 1977, Congreso has grown into a national thought leader on nonprofit performance management with an expert focus on the Latino community. Congreso is anchored by its innovative Primary Client Model (PCM™), and provides direct services to residents of the Philadelphia region while providing consult to other nonprofits and government systems nationally.
1. Teach basic through advanced-level ESL classes.
2. Counseling, case management and digital literacy instruction for students in Child Development Associate’s (CDA) Program.
3. Plan and implement Digital Literacy and workforce workshops in coordination with the Educational Services Coordinator.
4. Case management and workforce development for ESL students on an as-needed basis.
5. Deliver lesson plans as prescribed by Congreso’s PCM for group facilitation and help students in need of other Congreso services to connect with the appropriate programs.
6. Support additional student assistance programs such as volunteer tutor/mentor programs that may be offered to learners.
7. Enter and maintain computerized records and track necessary outcomes such as enrollments, attendance, and gains on standardized testing (CASAS).
8. Participate in agency activities, quarterly meetings, and committees in order to share information that will promote the purpose and mission of Congreso.
9. Seek student feedback and use checks for understanding to enhance the classroom instruction and programmatic services.
10. Contribute to the development and updating of curricula.
11. Participate in the research of educational materials and equipment for training programs.
12. Submit any required lesson plans or reports on a timely basis.
13. Perform any other duties and tasks such as coordinating class schedules, record keeping, and student file creation and maintenance.
14. Work hours (i.e., morning/afternoon/evening) as designated by course schedule.
Minimum Education: An Associate’s Degree is required, with 2+ years of classroom teaching experience. Bachelor’s degree in education or related field preferred. Conversational-level Spanish required; fluency in Spanish preferred.
Certification/License: Must be certified in Pennsylvania to conduct HIV rapid tests and maintain certification throughout employment. A valid driver’s license with good driving record is necessary.
A Career with Congreso: Your talent and passion + our mission = outcomes
Come grow our reputation. Employees come to Congreso because they hear the positive things our clients, employees, and supporters say about us. Congreso has served the neighborhoods of eastern North Philadelphia since 1977. We have built our reputation on trust and high-quality human service delivery. And now our expertise in client-centered, outcomes-informed service delivery is extending our reputation beyond local borders to regional and national renown.
Come serve the community. Employees come to Congreso because of their passion to work directly with members of a vibrant and diverse community towards greater self-sufficiency. We have grassroots in Philadelphia’s Puerto Rican community and a commitment to strengthen all who live in the communities we serve. Our campus is located in the heart of the Eastern North Philadelphia neighborhoods we serve and includes a charter school that houses college courses at night.
Come celebrate culture. Employees come to Congreso because of the diversity of our employees, clients, and community we serve. We seek to serve all clients through practices that show inclusion, empathy and understanding regardless of cultural identities.
Come be part of our “familia.” Employees come to Congreso for a working culture that reflects our family-centered service approach and our commitment to balance work and family. Our “mi casa es su casa” welcome extends to employees and all who seek services from us. Our employees value the feeling of being “like family” and the close and supportive relationships they have with co-workers.
Come grow professionally. Employees come to Congreso to gain experience, learn new skills, and grow professionally. Our Primary Client Model™ provides employees with continuous education and professional development in client-centered, data-informed, and culturally appreciative service delivery. We recognize supervisors as leaders and an essential link between retention and service quality. All supervisors engage in regular professional development and organizational strategy conversations with Congreso’s President/CEO. Congreso has a reputation for leadership development, with many former employees now in leadership positions at the local, regional and national level.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements here.
For more information about Congreso and other career opportunities pleas go to http://www.congreso.net.
Congreso is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Congreso is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. All employment decisions at Congreso are
made without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability or military/veteran status, or any other protected class as set forth under applicable State, Local and Federal Civil Rights Laws.
- Serve Philadelphia VISTA Corps Is Accepting Applications
- Director, Sisters of Saint Joseph Welcome Center – Feb 20
- Better Bike Share Educator, Part-Time Position Seasonal (March – October), Bicycle Coalition – Feb 17
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.