Educational Resources for the Coronavirus Pandemic
Posted by Foundations on March 17, 2020
News of the novel coronavirus is everywhere — but so is fear and misinformation. Children are particularly susceptible to worrying about the unknown, so how can we ease their burden?
At Foundations, we work with the adults who work with kids — and so we’re here to help you help them through these uncertain times. To this end, we’ve compiled some resources for you to use with the young people in your life.
Follow us on social media for more updates like this, or click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Educational Resources about the Coronavirus:
- A comic for kids exploring the new coronavirus
- Instructional materials about viruses, outbreaks, and the new coronavirus
- NY Times: teaching, learning, and thinking critically about the novel coronavirus
- PBS News Hour: Coronavirus resources for grades 6-12
- Brain POP on the new coronavirus
- Using the coronavirus as a teachable moment for Social-Emotional Learning
Talking to Kids about the Coronavirus:
- PBS Kids guide for talking to younger kids about the coronavirus
- PBS Kids guide for talking to younger kids about tragic or scary events in the news
- National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) guide for talking to kids about COVID-19
- NPR guide for talking to kids about scary events in the news
- Morningside Center guide for talking to students about the coronavirus
- Morningside Center guide for addressing bias and bullying in response to the novel coronavirus
Safety Guidelines and Resources:
- Six steps for K-12 leaders to respond to the coronavirus
- Map of school closings related to the coronavirus
- Guide for schools responding to the coronavirus
- Preparing for school closures due to COVID-19 from American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- COVID-19 information and resources for schools and school personnel from US Department of Education
Resources for Home Learning:
- PBS News Hour: Resources and lesson plans for grades 6-12
- Brain POP offers free, unlimited use during school closures for COVID-19
- Two high school librarians offer ideas and resources for virtual learning
- 20 learning activities for kids stuck at home
- The Learning Network by the NY Times
- Lesson plans from The Learning Network
More in "New Resources"
- 30th Anniversary Edition of the PACDC Magazine
- New Policy Paper: Health Equity Policy Framework
- New Book: Literacy Is Liberation: Working Toward Justice Through Culturally Relevant Teaching
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.