Education Manager, Character Lab
Posted by Character Lab on April 3, 2017
About Character Lab
Character Lab is a Philadelphia-based, non-profit organization that aims to advance the science and practice of character development so that all kids can reach their fullest potential.
At Character Lab, we are seeking an Education Manager to support the development, testing and dissemination of educational content, as well as provide direct support to the Virtual Character Lab Network of Schools. Reporting to our Director of Education (Chad Spurgeon), you will collaborate with researchers, educators, and external resources as needed in order to translate our research into engaging curriculum for teachers and middle/high school students.
We are looking for an individual who instinctively knows how teachers and students think. The right candidate embraces best practices for creating engaging educational material, can thrive within a small, dynamic team, and has the highest standard for quality.
Design, test and modify student-facing classroom experiences that lead to transformational learning
- Lead the creation, piloting, and revision of instructional content (e.g., classroom lessons, activities, and assessments.)
- Use student and teacher design teams to inform the creation of classroom activities, lessons, and routines
- Curates, creates, and recommends educational resources and partners
- Ensures that instructional materials are culturally relevant
- Facilitate, test, and modify materials based on experiences, feedback, and data
- Serve as project manager for all ongoing education resource projects
- Manage the work of external contractors
- Track status and progress of each project
Lead the development of online education content
- Develop effective web-based professional development for educators that enhances teacher skills and adoption of new character practices, including designing content, interactive exercises, assessments and managing online communication platforms
- Design and produce engaging, evidence-based content that builds educator knowledge of existing character development research (e.g., blogs, podcasts, articles, etc.)
Lead ongoing communication efforts with school partners and educator collaborators
- Coordinate and manage the activity of Teacher Advisory Group (TAG) members, Virtual Character Lab Network of Schools liaisons, and additional external partners
- Track and monitor progress of all ongoing education projects and initiatives
- Assist with the recruitment of new school partners and TAG members
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Prolonged and irregular hours of duty, as necessary
- Some light to medium level of manual labor (e.g., preparing mailings, moving boxes of materials, etc.)
Character Lab is an equal opportunity employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply. We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please submit a compelling cover letter with your resume. A portfolio of curriculum work samples is not required but highly appreciated.
- Assistant Director, Scholar Recruitment & Success (Catto Scholarship), Community College of Philadelphia
- Chief Racial Equity Officer, City of Philadelphia
- Engagement Partnerships Consulting Manager, City of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.