eBook – Service-Learning by Design
Posted by National Youth Leadership Council on March 19, 2019
Service-Learning by Design written by Dr. Sue Root, is your comprehensive guide to the backward planning process of creating the most effective service-learning units.
Explore the three steps in backward planning of service-learning in detail including:
- Identifying Desired Results;
- Creating Assessments (both formative and summative) to measure student progress and achievement of desired results; and
- Designing Learning Experiences that support the attainment of learning goals
- Develop academic and civic goals for service-learning based on national and state curriculum frameworks, such as the Common Core State Standards and the College, Career and Civic Life (C3) Framework, and unpack those broad goals into enabling knowledge and skills
- Construct formative and summative assessment targets and tasks for service-learning and create tools for interpreting student performance
- Work to design experiences for each stage of the inquiry and problem solving cycle that organizes a service-learning unit and to increase the academic power of service-learning by infusing reading, writing and discussion throughout the cycle
- Study examples of how backward planning can be applied in two areas: mathematics and social-emotional learning.
More in "New Resources"
- Updated Report: Expanding Service Years in States & Local Communities
- New Study: Perspectives on Improving Early Child Care and Education
- Updated COVID Guidance for Philly Schools
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.