Director, Workforce Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, City of Philadelphia
Posted by City of Philadelphia on August 18, 2020
Mayor Kenney created the City’s first Chief Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Officer, (CDEIO), and created the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). As Philadelphia’s neighborhoods continue to grow and evolve, this office will reinforce the Mayors commitment to ensuring that the services provided and dollars expended by local government are a strong and vibrant model of fairness among the diverse groups that make up the neighborhoods of Philadelphia. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will focus on promoting the value that diverse populations bring to our city; and for everyone, will fairly and equitably promote opportunities to be a part of the government. DEI is responsible for coordinating efforts to integrate diversity, racial equity, and inclusion principles into City operations, projects and services through the application and integration of best practices, training and development of City staff, tracking and measurement of outcomes and community engagement.
The Workforce Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Director will work closely with the CDEIO to understand department demographics, identify areas for focus, and make recommendations on steps to hire, develop and retain a more diverse workforce. The Director will lead the implementation of the Citywide Employment Diversity and Inclusion initiative, which requires all departments to complete an annual employment diversity and inclusion plan setting forth its strategic work to forecast hiring and vacancies, recruit diverse candidates, and ensure an inclusive environment. The Director will work with key internal leaders to build a strong internal and external reputation for the City as a great place to work for all while cultivating a strong external network of appropriate diversity, equity and inclusion contacts. This position will report to the Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer.
- Plan, develop, and direct strategic and operational efforts to help the City more effectively recruit, engage, and retain our diverse workforce and increase the Citys ability to support a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Work closely with the CDEIO to lead the implementation of the Citywide Employment Diversity and Inclusion initiative
- In collaboration with the CDEIO, meet with departments leadership to review and support implementation of annual employment plans, including workforce metrics forecast, recruitment, promotion and separation, as well as a discussion of inclusiveness and the departments efforts to promote inclusivity within the work environment.
- Lead day-to-day and overall project management for the Citywide Employment Diversity and Inclusion initiative, including facilitating ongoing communication among City leadership, DEI, City staff, and stakeholders engaged in workforce diversity, equity and inclusion-focused projects.
- Act as an advisor with deep workforce diversity, equity and inclusion expertise to senior leadership in the organization as well as Office of Human Resources and collaborate effectively with colleagues across an array of workforce operational strategies to embed principles and practices of workforce diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Work closely with the CDEIO to understand department demographics, identify areas for focus, and make recommendations on steps to hire, develop and retain a more diverse workforce.
- Supervise Diversity Coordinator to lead the design and production of the City’s annual Workforce Diversity Profile Report, the monthly external diversity dashboard, the coordination of City Resource Groups, and other coordinator duties related to the City’s workforce, diversity, equity and inclusion strategies.
- Attend diversity recruiting and other diversity events as necessary, in consultation with the CDEIO.
- Work in concert with key internal infrastructure leaders to build a strong internal and external reputation for the City as a great place to work for all and cultivate a strong external network of appropriate diversity, equity and inclusion contacts.
- Leverage data to inspire action and drive outcomes across the workforce; ensure preparation of diversity metrics/measurements on a regular frequency and communicate progress against plans that reinforce accountability throughout the organization.
- Responsible for budget management of the workforce diversity, equity and inclusion strategic initiatives.
- Academic Coordinator for Online Instruction, Civic Education Project – Summer 2022
- Program Manager (Full-Time), Book Trust – Feb 2
- Real-World Learning Project Manager, Phila. Learning Collaborative
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.