Director of Strategic Communications, Montgomery County Comm Coll
Posted by Montgomery County Community College on October 10, 2016
Montgomery County Community College invites applications for a Director of Strategic Communications. Under the guidance of the Executive Director of Marketing & Communications, the Director of Strategic Communications will lead and build the College’s regional and national visibility through media and news efforts, and, when necessary, act as an institutional spokesperson. The Director is responsible for the following areas: strategic message development, national and image-based media efforts, routine and ongoing local/regional media efforts, crisis communications, editorial oversight and leadership communications support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develop comprehensive, strategic plans for public relations activities aimed to raise the College’s profile nationally, regionally and locally, and follow through with the implementation.
• In coordination with the Executive Director of Marketing & Communications, develop strategic messaging to support the College priorities and strategic plan
• Provide editorial oversight for all College communications materials
• Write remarks and talking points and provide communications support for the President and the College leadership team
• Project manage and lead key, institutional College communications campaigns by identifying, developing, writing, preparing interviewees and promoting to targeted media newsworthy story ideas about MCCC’s programs, faculty experts, students, alumni, administrators, admissions, development activities, exhibitions, awards and other campus priorities.
• Write and generate content for key College publications and websites
• Track ongoing media projects, provide status reports and planning documents for review by appropriate staff and faculty, and assess the team’s effectiveness in achieving institutional media goals.
• Plan press events and serve as hands-on liaison for College departments.
• Develop and execute the Crisis Communications Plan in coordination with Campus Safety and College leadership
• Oversee strategic communication budgets in consultation with Executive Director of Marketing & Communications.
• Manage vendor relationships with all free-lance writers
• Facilitate media coaching for faculty, staff and students who act in public relations/communications capacities for the College.
• Serve on multiple interdepartmental committees, providing communications insight and maintaining relationships across campus.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in media relations, journalism or a related field.
• Minimum 5 – 7 years of experience at implementing complex media plans in a corporate, institutional or agency environment.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills:
• Strong writing, editing and oral communication skills, and flexibility to work in both AP and Chicago style.
• Strong regional and national network of media contacts.
• Ability to work effectively with College executives, trustees, staff and faculty at all levels, students and external constituencies.
• Experienced public relations professional with a proven track record of success in placing key stories in a range of media outlets, from local to national and from trade to general interest.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of information related to job responsibilities.
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
• Flexibility and experience to manage multiple projects and challenging deadlines.
•Understanding of national media trends and ability to connect institutional stories with national trends; and an entrepreneurial approach to story and message development and pitching.
•Proficiency in MS Office applications and social media tools.
• Comfortable working with a website content management system.
For the complete job description and to apply for this position, please visit http://www.mc3.edu/career-opportunities. The position is open until filled.
- Corporate Partnerships Director, City Year
- Housing Development Officer, PHDC
- Director of Finance, PHDC
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.