Director of Communications, Pennsylvania Humanities Council
Posted by Pennsylvania Humanities Council on November 17, 2014
The mission of Pennsylvania Humanities Council (PHC) is to build and lead a vibrant network of individuals, organizations, and communities that champions the humanities and empowers Pennsylvanians to think critically, grow, and engage in their communities. PHC supports diverse programming that exemplifies the humanities and shows why the humanities are important in everyday life, work, and community building. PHC is a 40-year old nonprofit organization and a federal/state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities. PHC has a $1.5 million annual operating budget, with a strong senior leadership team and an engaged Board of Directors from across the state. Additional information on PHC can be found at http://www.pahumanities.org.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications plays a key role in achieving the organization’s strategic priorities, leading a team dedicated to increasing awareness and appreciation of the humanities, and keeping internal and external stakeholders engaged in PHC’s mission. He/she oversees the implementation of PHC’s strategic communications plan and influences and advocates on behalf of the organization. The Communications Director is part of PHC’s senior leadership team and works in close collaboration with other senior staff. The Communications Director shares supervision of the communications/development associate.
The position requires superlative people skills, poise, discretion, finely honed writing and editing skills, strategic thinking, creativity and collaboration. This is a tremendous opportunity for a communications professional looking to join a highly regarded and growing organization, and to have a significant and meaningful impact on the lives of people and communities PHC serves.
- Provide senior leadership to communications team and strategic communications counsel to staff and board.
- Work collaboratively with Development Director on fundraising materials and assist program leadership with strategies for new and growing projects.
- Implement an innovative social media strategy and oversee a bold new website for PHC.
- Work closely with senior leadership on developing and implementing government relations strategy.
- Represent PHC in developing and presenting testimony and public policy to elected officials.
- Direct the development and implementation of effective and creative media strategies.
- Write and edit copy for news releases, features, newsletters, brochures and reports.
- Support leadership with internal and external communications needs.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Seven to ten years of experience and demonstrated success in communications or related field, preferably in the nonprofit or government sector.
- Deep understanding of the rapidly evolving media and communications business.
- Ability to think strategically, juggle multiple priorities, and manage time effectively.
- Passion for the humanities and personal values consistent with PHC’s mission.
- Willingness to travel throughout Pennsylvania.
- Some previous direct supervisory experience required.
- Senior Project Manager (One Year Contract), Phila. Youth Network
- Associate, Communications and Outreach, Phila. Youth Network
- Program Associate, Phila. Youth Network
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.