Deputy Director of Research and Evaluation, Public/Private Ventures
Posted by on October 31, 2010
Last day to apply: November 15, 2010
The Deputy Director of Research and Evaluation will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing and executing complex research studies of programs and initiatives that aim to improve the lives of individuals in high-poverty communities. The individual will be responsible for developing new project work and interfacing with potential funders to carry out the department’s research agenda. The position reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Research and Evaluation. He or she will be expected to lead teams of researchers in the development of research instruments, data collection, data analysis and report writing as well as deal with daily project management needs. The Deputy Director of Research and Evaluation will also represent P/PV to funders, policymakers and other outside audiences.
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
• Manage and carry out all aspects of multiple research projects:
o Conceptualize research designs;
o Develop research instruments and protocols;
o Develop and implement analysis plans;
o Lead teams of researchers;
o Coordinate with staff from other departments;
o Maintain site relationships;
o Maintain relationships with project funders;
o Develop strategies for data analysis;
o Write reports (as the principal or sole author); and
o Manage project budgets.
• Develop new work:
o Pursue and develop new mission-relevant research and evaluation opportunities in conjunction with the Senior Vice President for Research and Evaluation;
o Present findings to funders, policymakers and outside organizations;
o Formalize research agenda and objectives with the Senior Vice President for Research and Evaluation;
o Build relationships with new funders and maintain current funder relationships; and
o Work with staff to meet the development needs of the Research Department and the overall organization.
• Perform organizational duties:
o Work closely with the other Deputy Director and the Senior Vice President for Research and Evaluation to develop staff skills;
o Promote P/PV’s work to external audiences;
o Contribute to organizational strategy, structure and process discussions;
o Support a positive organizational culture; and
o Provide guidance and supervision to junior staff.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Exceptional proposal/grant writing skills and proven record of successful development work;
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects and to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines;
• Familiarity with qualitative research methods and with conducting implementation (process) studies;
• Expertise and experience in quantitative research methods, design and data analysis;
• Knowledge of STATA and/or SAS;
• Experience with developing research/evaluation study design and implementation;
• Strong non-academic, non-technical writing skills;
• Experience working with program staff at all organizational levels, from directors to line staff;
• Project management skills;
• Strong public speaking skills, with the ability to think quickly and contribute meaningfully;
• Strong desire and experience working in a team environment that has fostered a collaborative spirit both internally as well as externally;
• Willingness and ability to travel;
• Familiarity with recent criminal/juvenile justice and/or workforce literature (preferred); and
• A commitment to program evaluation over substantive area of expertise and an associated interest in multiple areas of research, including criminal/juvenile justice, workforce, mentoring, out-of-school-time learning, community engagement, etc.
The Deputy Director of Research and Evaluation will have a Ph.D. in one of the social sciences and at least six years of experience in criminal justice/workforce research and program evaluation, or a master’s degree with at least eight years of similar experience.
How to Apply:
Offering excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. Please mail or email cover letter, résumé and writing sample no later than November 15, 2010:
2000 Market Street, Suite 550
Philadelphia, PA 19103
P/PV is an equal opportunity employer.
More in "Job Opportunities/AmeriCorps Opportunities"
- Camden and Pennsauken Youth Aged 16-20 Interested in the Environment, Summer Job Opportunity
- Project Development Associate, Habitat for Humanity – Jun 30
- Summer Jobs at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.