Delaware River Watershed Fellowship 2021 – Apr 2
Posted by Adventure Aquarium on February 2, 2021
Delaware River Watershed Fellowship 2021 at the Center for Aquatic Sciences at Adventure Aquarium
The Center for Aquatic Sciences is a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education, (AWE), a coalition of 23 environmental education centers focused on constituency building and stewardship of the Delaware River Watershed. Centers in the AWE are connected by the Circuit Trails, the regional trail network of multi-use bike/pedestrian trails and waterways (rivers, streams, creeks.) AWE seeks to hire a number of college-aged students for a 12-week summer fellowship designed to advance the collective impact across the watershed.
The mission of the Center for Aquatic Sciences (CAS) is: Education and youth development through promoting the understanding, appreciation and protection of aquatic life and habitats. In performing this mission, CAS strives to be an effective member of the Camden, NJ community, assisting in its economic and social redevelopment by providing opportunities for education, enrichment and employment.
The Delaware River Watershed Fellow will serve as an ambassador for the Center for Aquatic Sciences (CAS), NJ Natural Lands Trust (NJNLT), and the Delaware River watershed by engaging our local watershed community, emphasizing the importance of watershed stewardship, and helping CAS reach new and underserved audiences. By the end of the 12 weeks of service, Fellows will have become local watershed experts and ambassadors to the Camden community, introducing people to local trails and waterways, as well as the steps they can take to help restore and protect the Delaware River Watershed. The Fellow will be based in Camden and in local waterfront parks within Camden City.
- Engage targeted communities in Camden through education, recreation and civic engagement.
- Participate in a mandatory 3-day supportive watershed stewardship training (June 16-18).
- Attend two regional meetings, submit weekly logs and participate in training webinars.
- Engage residents in watershed and environmental education outdoor activities both virtually and in-person, including on-water kayak programs, along the Camden Waterfront and surrounding neighborhood communities.
- Collaborate with staff to research, design and implement virtual and in-person programs for the public that focus on both wildlife and watershed protection.
- Interact with trail users through roving naturalist activities, providing information on upcoming events, collecting evaluation data on best practices for engaging the public, and participating in lessons and field trips for Camden City youth during summer.
- Complete a Capstone project to be presented at the end-of-season Watershed Fellowship Summit on August 20. This project should help enhance AWE goals, deepen the connection and engagement of trail and water users, and expand watershed protection and restoration.
- Assist with other daily tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Experience
- Camden resident is preferred.
- Available to work June 7 – August 27, 2021, 4 – 5 days per week, may include some weekends and evenings.
- Age 18 by June 1.
- Must have an interest in the environment and working outdoors.
- Must be people oriented, work well with others, and professionally represent CAS, NJNLT, and the Alliance for Watershed Education.
- Must have a positive attitude, willing to learn new things while working in a dynamic and flexible environment.
- Should have good oral and written communication skills; comfortable interacting with other people with a demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity.
- Video skills and social media experience are a plus.
- Valid state driver’s license OR proficiency with public transportation required.
- Spanish speaking candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position pays $15/hr. Fellows will serve 32-40 hrs./week for 12 weeks.
How To Apply
For more information or to submit a resume, please contact: Linda Cairnes, Director of Experiential Engagement, Center for Aquatic Sciences, email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday, April 2, 2020
- Associate Director (2 Positions), Civic House, UPenn – Jun 5
- Associate Director, Workforce & Economic Impact, Drexel – May 29
- Executive Director, ArtWell – Jun 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.