Data Analyst, Defender Association of Philadelphia
Posted by Defender Association of Philadelphia on December 12, 2023
Looking to make a difference! Become a Defender!
The Police Accountability Unit (PAU) works to improve outcomes for Defender clients, aid trial attorneys in their representation of clients with police-related issues, and employs a diverse array of data sets to effectuate policy and legal changes related to systemic police misconduct. The Data Analyst will provide comprehensive data analysis and reports to support the PAU by compiling and analyzing data relating to policing in Philadelphia. The successful candidate will be able to convert complex datasets into insights enabling the Defender to make informed, data-driven decisions supported by both quantitative and qualitative analysis.
What You’ll Do
- Work closely with the attorneys, policy analyst, and administrative assistant in the PAU to compile and summarize broad statistical information for use in developing internal reports, grant proposals, and external communications to various stakeholders such as the criminal defense bar, City Council, and our community.
- Collaborate with experts in the fields of criminology, sociology, and data science on data projects relating to policing, indigent defense, and the criminal legal system.
- Collect, interpret, and analyze internal and external data to inform client representation, policy decisions, and public commentary on police accountability issues.
- Critically review aggregate policing data (stop and frisk, complaints against police, crime incident data, etc.) alongside local and national current events and policy changes to investigate potential causes for trends and guide courtroom representation strategy.
- Develop statistical reports as exhibits in criminal cases and testify to their findings in court.
- Build data pipelines that extract public and confidential datasets, clean and transform the data, and generate regular and meaningful reports and visualizations.
- Create and manage organizational systems to make analyses accessible and understandable to team members.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders, including legal and IT staff, to ensure work is done in accordance with data governance and other Defender policies.
- Provide statistical commentary on external reports and publications to ensure proper interpretation and justify Defender positions in public discussions.
- Support other Defender units with statistical analysis when needed.
- Youth Advocacy Fellowship (YAF), Community Legal Services
- Corporate Relations Manager, Habitat for Humanity – Mar 22
- AmeriCorps VISTA Leader, National Nurse-Led Care Consortium (NNCC) – May 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.