Culinary Literacy Center, Free Library of Phila.
Posted by Free Library of Philadelphia on May 31, 2022
The Free Library is advancing literacy in Philadelphia in a unique and innovative way–with a fork and a spoon. Cooking and eating are educational acts and provide opportunities to learn math, science, languages, history and so much more. Using cooking as the vehicle for learning, the Culinary Literacy Center advances literacy through food and cooking around a communal table.
Opened in 2014, the Culinary Literacy Center is the first space of its kind in a public library and serves as a model for libraries worldwide. The Culinary Literacy Center is based in our kitchen classroom at Parkway Central, but we offer programming at nearly all of our neighborhood libraries. Culinary Literacy Center programs teach healthy cooking, build community, and promote civic dialogue.
Every month, we host over 30 programs throughout the city. Register for an event and you might see:
- Your favorite cookbook authors or local chefs demonstrating how to make a signature dish.
- An immigrant-led cooking class, showcasing the diversity of tastes and cultures in Philadelphia.
- A class of third graders experimenting with new foods and cooking a meal from scratch.
- English-language learners practicing new words while making a new dish–and new friends.
- A registered dietician showing how to build a healthy lifestyle, starting in the kitchen.
- 05.31 Virtual Program: Edible Alphabet English
- 06.01 Edible Alphabet – Learning English Through Cooking! (In Person)
- 06.02 Pop-Up Library in Fitler Square
- 06.07 Virtual Program: Edible Alphabet English
- 06.08 The Art and Science of Biscuits: Two Chefs, Two Methods0
More in "New Resources"
- Get Out the Student Vote
- Preview of White House Hunger Conference
- New Issue of Metropolitan Universities: Anti-Racism, Equity and Inclusion at Urban Institutions
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.