COVID-19 Communications Assistant, City of Philadelphia
Posted by City of Philadelphia on June 9, 2020
The mission of the Office of Emergency Managements Public Affairs Division is to develop and implement communications strategies in partnership with all City departments to increase access to City services, foster a culture of open communication, and promote key public preparedness and emergency response initiatives. The Office of Emergency Management connects city public safety departments and is tasked with preparing residents and businesses for emergencies and coordinating emergency response for the City. The Public Affairs division creates and implements comprehensive communications strategies to inform Philadelphians about ways to be prepared, expands access to information about City services, and provides residents with critical information in times of emergency or breaking news. The communications team works with colleagues in the Mayors Office of Communications and the Philadelphia Fire Department to coordinate communications across city, state, and federal departments and non-governmental partner agencies. OEMs digital team oversees a strategy to engage residents online and make information about related City services more easily accessible.
The Communications Assistant reports to the Public Information Program Manager for the Office of Emergency Management and is responsible for supporting the department and administrative operations of OEM. The Communications Assistant also supports the Offices goal of managing internal and external communications activities for the department. The Communications Assistant must be detail-oriented, work well independently, work well with team members from diverse backgrounds, and thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Draft and send media advisories, press releases, and other announcements
- Social media content creation, including photos, video, and Livestream
- Writing content for mass communications platforms for the public
- Video and other content production
- Researching and creating topical and timely digital content such as blogs
- Draft talking points for department employees for events or press conferences
- Identify press clips for awareness or that should be promoted on social media and draft social media posts
- Assist with coordinating logistics for press events
- Work with City departments to coordinate messaging during events or emergency responses.
- Associate Director (2 Positions), Civic House, UPenn – Jun 5
- Associate Director, Workforce & Economic Impact, Drexel – May 29
- Executive Director, ArtWell – Jun 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.