Courtroom Intern, Northwest Victim Services
Posted by Northwest Victim Services on July 14, 2014
Mission of NVS
- Provide supportive services to crime victims in Northwest Philadelphia
- NVS supports individuals impacted by crime, empowering them to effectively navigate the criminal justice system, while vigorously advocating for their rights. Through the provision of client support and the development of community relationships
Addresses the emotional, safety and financial needs of crime victims, and
Increases awareness of crime prevention strategies to elevate community safety
Job Title: Courtroom Intern
Reports to: Executive Director
6301 Germantown Avenue, 2nd Floor, Suite 1
Philadelphia, PA 19144
Travel Required: Travel to Criminal Justice Center located at 1301 Filbert St., Philadelphia, PA
Level/Salary Range: Not Applicable
Position Type: Volunteer Victim Advocate
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PROVIDE DIRECT SERVICES TO VICTIMS OF CRIME IN NORTHWEST PHILADELPHIA. SERVICES PROVIDED INCLUDE:
CRISIS SUPPORT TO CRIME VICTIMS, THEIR FAMILIES AND SIGNIFICANT OTHERS.
INFORMATION ABOUT CRIMINAL JUSTICE/ POLICE PROCEDURES AND THE PROGRESS OF A CASE.
ADVOCACY FOR VICTIMS OF CRIME WITH THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE, POLICE, AND/ OR PROBATION DEPARTMENTS.
REFERRALS TO HELP VICTIMS MEET IMMEDIATE EMERGENCY NEEDS THROUGH OTHER COMMUNITY AGENCIES.
ACCOMPANIMENT TO CRIMINAL JUSTICE HEARINGS AND TRIALS.
ASSISTANCE TO ELIGIBLE VICTIMS IN COMPLETING AND FILING VICTIMS COMPENSATION CLAIMS.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- MUST BE ENROLLED IN AN UNDERGRADUATE OR GRADUATE LEVEL PROGRAM AT A COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY IN THE FIELDS OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE, SOCIAL WORK, COUNSELING OR RELATED FIELD.
- REQUIRED SKILLS
- COMMUNICATE IN WRITING AND ORALLY INCLUDING SPEAKING ON THE PHONE ORGANIZATION SELF-MOTIVATED COMPUTER SKILLS/ KNOWLEDGE PROBLEM SOLVING DISCOVER INFORMATION WORK WELL WITH OTHERS
- SPECIALIZED TRAINING ON WORKING WITH CRIME VICTIMS AND THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM WILL BE PROVIDED DURING FIRST TWO WEEKS . TRAINING WILL INCLUDE IN-PERSON, ONLINE SESSIONS AS WELL AS READING ASSIGNMENTS.
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND CHILD ABUSE CLEARANCES ARE REQUIRED
- MUST BE WILLING TO PROVIDE AT LEAST 10 HOURS OF SERVICE PER WEEK TO NVS FOR 5 MONTHS.
More in "Partnerships Classifieds"
- Volunteers Needed: Meal Delivery Drivers for MANNA
- College and Graduate Volunteer Program, CHOP
- Volunteers Needed: Relay for Life of Moorestown Regional – Jun 4
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.