Coordinator of Co-Curricular Programming and Outreach, Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility
Posted by Swarthmore College on June 20, 2016
Coordinator of Co-Curricular Programming and Outreach
Are you looking for a way to make a difference? Would you like to play a role helping students gain the knowledge, insight and experience to become leaders for the common good? If so, you should consider joining the team at Swarthmore and help fulfill a mission built around creating opportunities for young people who, in turn, will apply their intelligence, talents, and abilities to make the world a better place.
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Swarthmore College is seeking candidates for a Coordinator of Co-Curricular Programming and Outreach to oversee key aspects of the Lang Center’s mission—education for responsible citizenship—with emphases on undergraduate education and engagement. This person helps to connect students’ academic studies with their out-of-class experiences in coherent and meaningful ways, both by providing expert, one-on-one academic advising and by educating student groups and grant applicants about curricular connections to their out-of-class involvements; by overseeing a cutting-edge communications program, including social media outreach; and by liaising with academic departments and interdisciplinary programs to encourage their creative involvement with citizenship education, in accordance with higher education best-practices.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, advanced degree preferred.
- Close familiarity with Swarthmore or equivalent liberal arts community and liberal arts curriculum with academic advising.
- Masters-level (or equivalent) experience/expertise with at least one academic area.
- Familiarity with Delaware County and/or Greater Philadelphia region.
- Experience with managing undergraduates and collaborating productively with faculty.
- Experience in event planning.
- Familiarity with data management, advanced spreadsheet construction, social media, and website maintenance.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must be an academically accomplished, dynamic, well-organized person with both interpersonal and social media skills, committed to education for responsible citizenship.
- Ability to pro-actively seek to broaden the Lang Center’s reach and usefulness among Swarthmore College students, faculty, and staff, and to develop the Lang Center’s mission in accordance with higher education best-practices.
- Educator (Part-Time, Temporary), Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site – Feb 12
- Community Resource Corps Spring 2023 Cohort – Feb 9
- Project Assistant (College/Graduate/Post-Graduate Students), Connect the Dots – Feb 15
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.