Coordinator, Energy Conservation Programs, School District of Philadelphia
Posted by School District of Philadelphia on January 24, 2023
Analyzes current energy usage and develops and ensures the implementation and maintenance of energy conservation practices and procedures. Analyzes and computes energy consumption rates, the review and evaluation of energy conservation opportunities, and the calculation of the cost effectiveness of energy saving programs. Responsible for the School District of Philadelphia’s waste management operations.
- Maintains and analyzes statistics of fuel and water consumption; reviews monthly fuel bills for estimated readings, overcharges, and fluctuations in prices; confers with sales representatives from fuel companies regarding discrepancies.
- Manages utility bill reconciliation and audit process; coordinates efforts with District and utility company officials.
- Develops, coordinates and implements the Energy Consumption Reduction Initiatives.
- Supports LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) project management for new and existing buildings.
- Works with the building and maintenance personnel including Facility Area Managers and Building Engineers on proper operations of the systems and equipment.
- Assists the Facilities department with the implementation of weekday, weekend, holiday and summer shutdown checklists and night setback programs for every building in the District; ensures efficient energy usage by custodial staff during the summer.
- Establishes computerized energy data bank; calculates and prepares charts and graphs of energy consumption, demand, degree day and other comparisons; establishes baseline budgets for each school; reviews and synthesizes energy consumption data for use in the compilation of monthly computerized reports.
- Communicates with stakeholders in the Operations Division, principals and building staff on the status of their building’s energy consumption.
- Ensures that the District is on a proper utility rate schedule and is receiving the correct billing and is participating in all available rebate programs.
- Maintains records of federal energy conservation grants received by the District.
- Performs walk-through energy audits of all of the District’s facilities; provides advice with respect to low or no-cost measures which can be implemented in schools to generate savings; conducts studies of energy conservation projects to determine feasibility and cost effectiveness; develops recommendations for Increasing efficiencies and conservation of all types of energy and an optimum educational environment which is in compliance with the District’s energy policy.
- Advises, assists and makes recommendations for the Chief Operations Officer and/or other executives on alternative energy sources, consumption and general energy conservation measures; provides input on energy commodity sourcing for the District’s purchase of electricity, natural gas, heating oil and diesel fuel (for emergency generators).
- Oversees compliance with the City of Philadelphia’s Benchmarking and Building Energy Performance Policy requirements; develops and maintains contact with local, state and federal agencies and monitors energy policy trends.
- Administers the District’s electrical retrofit contracts, including the identification of projects inspectors for finished projects; manages contracted services to develop, plan and implement energy conservation and savings projects and fulfill contractual obligations.
- Responds to inquiries and makes presentations regarding the District’s energy conservation programs as requested; serves as the District’s representative on energy use and conservation at meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Attends training sessions, conferences and workshops to keep abreast of current practices, programs and legal issues.
- Performs related work as required.
More in "Grant Opportunities"
- Inflation Reduction Act Community Change Grants Program
- 2024 Youth Garden Grants – Dec 15
- Social justice performing arts – Dec 19
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.