Community School Coordinator, Richard R. Wright Elementary School
Posted by City of Philadelphia on November 12, 2019
The Mayor’s Office of Education (MOE) provides leadership to improve education in the City of Philadelphia. To achieve this mission, MOE creates policies and programs to expand access to quality pre-K for Philadelphia families; support students and residents through Community Schools; facilitate collaboration and partnership among many stakeholders to strengthen the local educational landscape; and advance key educational policy. MOE works with public and private partners to support local schools and make educational opportunities more accessible for all.
The Community School Coordinator (CSC) is an employee of the Mayor’s Office of Education (MOE) who works closely with the Community Schools Manager to implement, integrate, align and coordinate the community school strategy at the site level. The CSC, while employed by MOE, is also accountable to the school principal and is therefore expected to plan and align all programs, services and opportunities collaboratively.
This position is school-based located at Richard R. Wright School 2201 N. 28th St. Phila. Pa 19132
Wright’s mission is to provide instruction that will result in our students performing on or above grade level in an effort to prepare them for middle school and beyond on a path of their choosing.
To read more about Wright click here.
General Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with school staff, students, parents, and community stakeholders such as local businesses, nonprofit partners, and public agencies to build knowledge about, connections with, and support for community school model.
- Works closely with Community Schools Manager to perform school community asset mapping, find service providers, and troubleshoot challenges.
- Engages families and school staff to better understand student needs and reporting process.
- Leads asset mapping process and conducts ongoing assessment, including resource inventory and gap analysis.
- Assists with needs assessment process by collecting data for community asset map.
- Develops and manages partnerships with local service providers.
- Serves as an integral part of school-based leadership to support connecting students with appropriate service providers.
- Tracks services and submits weekly plans and reports to be shared with School, Community, and City leaders for feedback and support.
- Meets with Community Schools Manager on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to review weekly reports and create support systems to facilitate the delivery of quality services.
- Convenes and staffs Community School Committee (or as appropriate supports the SAC), a coordinating body that is co-led by the principal and includes representatives from key stakeholder groups to provide monthly feedback and support based on student and community needs.
- Works closely with Community Schools Manager to develop and implement the shared Community School
- Work plan based on community needs and Community Schools logic model.
- Builds positive relationships and trust with principals, teaching staff, students, service providers, community leaders, and other resource coordinators.
Coordination and Support
- Coordinates student needs assessment and provider selection.
- Supports school administration in making data-driven program decisions.
- Creates and develops a Community School Committee (e.g. parents, teachers, students, school administrators, local business leaders, and community members, etc.) with the purpose of collaborating, assessing needs and mapping the assets of the school community, and gathering input from community leaders during decision-making process.
- Engages families and school staff to better understand student needs.
- Collects and uses needs and service provider data throughout implementation process and shares outcomes with community leaders.
- Supports school administration in making data-driven program decisions based on student data.
- Engages neighborhood associations, residents and community leaders in community school planning and implementation process.
- Facilitates regular partner meetings, including all groups and organizations who serve students and families.
- Recruits, trains, and coordinates volunteers based on Community Schools guidelines.
- Participates in Community Schools and Mayor’s Office of Education staff meetings.
- Attend capacity-building activities, including initiative-wide and site-based trainings, peer network meetings and study visits.
- Participates in learning communities with other coordinators.
- Participate in ongoing professional development.
- Afterschool Group Leaders, Martha Washington School
- Education Coordinator, Pendle Hill – Oct 20
- STEM Workforce Development Manager, McKinney Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.