Communications Director, City Year
Posted by on August 12, 2013
Communications Director, City Year
Posted on: July 10, 2013
The Communications Director is responsible for designing and implementing a comprehensive communication and outreach strategy to raise City Year Greater Philadelphia’s profile as a premier service partner to schools and communities. In collaboration with site leadership the Communications Director manages a wide range of projects and initiatives to strengthen City Year’s brand among target audiences, improves print and electronic communication with existing and potential champions, increases the frequency and depth of engagement with elected officials, and leverages events to educate and inspire attendees. The Communications Director will use every opportunity to sharpen central themes of the City Year experience and convey it effectively internally and externally.
Site & Executive Office
- Build strong relationships with City Year champions, service partners, community leaders, and media representatives to support implementation of communication strategy
- Develop and manage “message calendar” commensurate with City Year benchmarks and milestones throughout the year, including national events, media pitches, and external partnerships.
- Implement a marketing and communications plan for each site-wide event, including the annual fundraising dinner, City Year Opening Day, MLK Day and other events as needed
- Advise and train staff on ways to effectively leverage their relationships with stakeholders and community leaders and use the message manual to train staff on communicating the City Year story
- Develop and manage a portfolio of media, marketing and communications relationships to bolster City Year’s brand recognition and value in the education and nonprofit funding community
- Oversee the production and distribution of high quality and timely in-house publications for various aspects of City Year’s mission, ensuring that all external communications maintain continuity with all aspects of the City Year brand including: City Year’s website, electronic communications, press releases, print collateral and all media coverage
- Oversee HQ Social Media plan at site level including #MakeBetterHappen campaign, managing the CYGP Blog, and developing local social media strategies to support national campaigns and events.
- Create a system to track results of marketing campaigns impact on fundraising and recruitment efforts
- Oversee messaging at key City Year events such as the annual spring gala, Opening Day, receptions, and more as requested. This includes print materials seen on screen and tables, as well as working with staff on messaging on stage through scripts and talking points.
- Builds and maintains press lists, pitch calls, and op-eds to push forward the City Year story for prospective donors
- Provides strategic direction for City Year’s Visitor Program through which prospective partners are introduced to our school-based service.
- Implement with Development department a baseline communication plan for all donors, potentially including e-newsletters, printed materials, and end of year reports.
- Partner with recruitment department on social media and #MakeBetterHappen campaign
- Partner with Impact department on effectively telling the impact story to the district, service partners, and education funding community
More in "Job Opportunities/AmeriCorps Opportunities"
- Camden and Pennsauken Youth Aged 16-20 Interested in the Environment, Summer Job Opportunity
- Project Development Associate, Habitat for Humanity – Jun 30
- Summer Jobs at Philadelphia Parks & Recreation
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.