College Success Advisor, Philadelphia Futures
Posted by Philadelphia Futures on November 12, 2019
Philadelphia Futures is a nonprofit organization that provides Philadelphia’s low-income, first-generation-to-college students with the tools, resources, and opportunities necessary for admission to and success in college. We transform lives by breaking down the barriers that have historically excluded low-income, first-generation-to-college students from achieving college and career success. The students Philadelphia Futures serves are provided with a comprehensive, time-tested array of programs designed to reduce or eliminate the institutional, academic, social, and financial barriers to college success.
We are currently seeking a College Success Advisor to join our team. The Office of College Success supports over 350 college students at 50 colleges and universities. The primary role of this position is to support and advise a caseload of Philadelphia Futures collegians with the goal of achieving the highest possible persistence and graduation rates. Each advisor also takes the lead on various events and programs that are ongoing throughout the year.
- Maintain regular contact with collegian program participants, via in-person, phone and electronic communication
- Provide guidance and advice on academic course plans, choosing majors/minors, accessing academic support resources, other strategies for academic success
- Provide guidance and support in financial aspects of college attendance, including financial aid documents and requirements, and troubleshooting billing questions.
- Provide coaching in social and emotional challenges of college life with a strengths-based perspective
- Connect collegians with campus and community resources
- Establish and maintain relationships with campus liaisons
- Maintain data and records on student progress, interactions with students, outreach efforts.
- Maintain contact with collegians temporarily out of college, assisting with plans to return to school and/or work
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s preferred, with a concentration in counselling, education, social work, or related field of study.
- Minimum of five years experience working with college or high school students, including a minimum of two years experience working on a college campus in student services, academic advising, or financial aid.
- Knowledge of higher education retention issues, particularly related to low-income, first-generation-to-college students.
Learn more and apply: https://www.philadelphiafutures.org/employment/college-success-advisor/
- Afterschool Group Leaders, Martha Washington School
- Education Coordinator, Pendle Hill – Oct 20
- STEM Workforce Development Manager, McKinney Center
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.