College Counselor, JEVS Human Services
Posted by JEVS Human Services on December 14, 2015
Career Strategies – Center City
JEVS Human Services is one of the largest human services agencies of its kind. For the past 70 years, we have served the Greater Philadelphia community making hope happen for more than 27,000 individuals annually through a range of programs such as job skills training, career management, vocational rehabilitation, recovery services, adult residential and day services and personal assistance in the home. These programs are designed to help individuals overcome quality of life challenges and also those who are facing socio-economic conditions such as the underemployed and the unemployed.
We are looking for a College Counselor/Education Consultant to join our team!
The College Counselor/Education Consultant is a member of the Career Strategies (CS) Youth Services department and advises students and their families on the steps needed to initiate and complete the college admissions and financial aid processes, provides resources and tools to navigate these processes, and develops individualized plans and tasks for clients to help them meet their educational and career goals.
- Meet students and families individually and in groups to introduce the components of the college admissions process
- Identify colleges that match the individual academic credentials, interests and goals of each student
- Explain the basic financial aid process and assist in completing the FAFSA, state application, and other required applications for each school; refer merit scholarships to students, and assist in application
- Work with school guidance counselors in providing a unified approach to each student
- Conduct workshops on educational issues; make public presentations related to program goals
- Participate in the planning and delivery of curriculum as it relates to specific programs
- Monitor students’ progress and advise for at least one year after participants’ exit program
Skills & Requirements
- Master Degree in Education or related field preferred.
- 3+ years’ experience working with high school students and at risk youth preferred
- Excellent communication skills and experience in preparing and conducting workshops and training sessions
- Demonstrates strong skill in SAT/ACT
- Must have own transportation
- Flexible workweek hours required; some early evening and weekend work required
- Career Specialist, Welcoming Center – Mar 12
- Community Program Manager – Mar 25
- Quaker Voluntary Service Fellowship – Mar 1
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.