College and Career Readiness Specialist, Philadelphia Academies
Posted by Philadelphia Academies on August 28, 2017
Philadelphia Academies INC: We’re different. We are not a school. As a nonprofit youth development provider, we use our 45+ years of programming expertise and implementation best practices to support the All Academy High School initiative with partner schools. And, as a member of the Philadelphia Council for College and Success, we are leading the city’s effort to scale up this effective model so that young people can benefit from the model within our city’s school.
Position: College and Career Readiness Specialist
Reports To: School Operations Manager
The College and Career Readiness Specialist is an entry level role focused on supporting a wide range of college and career readiness programming for our partner schools, working with both students and teachers to ensure school participation while building capacity within the schools. The Specialist will serve as the liaison with other PAI staff members for all college and career readiness programming and will work closely with colleagues to assist with the integration of all activities. The Specialist will design and implement a variety of college and career activities and strategies for use with students and teachers in school and after-school programming, summer programming and other appropriate settings.
The College and Career Readiness Specialist will also assist with implementation of the College and Career Readiness (CCR) curriculum at partner schools and support PAI’s summer internship programs. The Specialist work closely with the Freshman Academy teams to align college and career activities with the CCR curriculum. The Specialist will also support PAI staff with enrolling students for summer internship opportunities and supporting the internship programs throughout the summer.
College and Career Readiness Activities
- Support planning efforts and implementation of college and career events and activities at partner schools including career days, college tours, and Freshman Academy events
- Coordinate and implement PAI’s cross-school events including PSPS Interview Skills Workshops and the annual Interview Expo
- Function as the direct point of contact for school staff, business partners, and PAI colleagues on all large-scale in school and out of school student events and activities
- Manage event budgets and purchasing and coordinate with business and community partners, volunteers, and vendors
- Collaborate with PAI school teams to ensure students events and activities are organized and executed
- Collect and communicate feedback from students, teachers, and others on ways in which student events are working, challenges, and areas of improvement
- Organize needed supports and work collaboratively to ensure off-site visits/events and activities occur within the scope of PAI’s vision and goals
College and Career Readiness Curriculum Support
- Work with PAI Data Specialist to support implementation of College and Career Readiness (CCR) curriculum in partner schools
- Support training process for new teachers on the curriculum
- Meet with teachers on a regular basis to provide support for the curriculum implementation, identify and share best practices, and troubleshoot problems
- Support college and career activities of CCR Curriculum in all partner schools, including supporting planning processes for any college events, and securing business partners as career speakers
Summer Internship Support
- Work with PAI staff to support summer internship efforts in all partner schools
- Work with PAI staff and teachers to identify students to participate in internships
- Deliver resume and internship preparation workshops at partner schools, and work with PAI staff and school teams to assist in collecting all necessary paperwork
- Assist with worksite identification and paperwork as needed
- Support PAI’s summer internship programs throughout the summer, including supporting Friday professional development sessions and assisting with ongoing paperwork needs
- Community Outreach Coordinator (Part-Time), OCCCDA
- After School Literacy and Math Instructors, 21st Century Community Learning Center
- Bi-Lingual Family Ambassador (Chinese-Mandarin), OCCCDA
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.