Coalition Director, Youthbuild Pennsylvania Coalition
Posted by YouthBuild Philadelphia on September 24, 2019
The YouthBuild Pennsylvania Coalition (YB PA Coalition) is a nonprofit organization that acts as an advocate and resource for participating YouthBuild programs on the state and local level. The YB PA Coalition is seeking a Director to develop strategies and build capacity for member programs to more effectively build statewide leadership opportunities and to more effectively advocate for their students and alumni.
The position requires a deep commitment to the success of young people, sound judgement, and understanding and expertise around the intersection of programming, youth development, politics, and policy where they impact nonprofits empowering opportunity youth with a range of education, workforce, service and leadership experiences. This is a new position for the YB PA Coalition that will involve significant collaboration with staff and directors of member programs (six currently) across the state and also with YouthBuild USA. The Coalition Director reports to the YB PA Coalition Board of Directors. The Director role is a full-time position operating from any of the participating member site locations.
● Create meaningful and consistent leadership opportunities and points of connection for YouthBuild students, alumni, and staff across the state.
● Build YB PA Coalition capacity with activities across programs, platforms for sharing member program resources and expertise, and related professional development efforts.
● Develop expertise in state and local policies affecting member programs.
● Translate complex legislation and pending policies for diverse audiences.
● Help policymakers and stakeholders understand YouthBuild program impact.
● Empower YouthBuild students, alumni, and staff with voices in advocacy efforts.
● Fundraise with statewide donors in support of YB PA Coalition’s mission.
● Submit fundraising proposals with relevant funding partners.
● Craft a public relations strategy, update the coalition website, leverage social media platforms, and act as spokesperson as needed.
● Organize coalition events, such as the annual Pennsylvania Leadership Day.
● Maintain all Coalition records and perform administrative and financial functions.
● Increase Coalition visibility by way of social media, print materials, etc.
● Must be located or willing to relocate to a YB PA Coalition member site: Reading, York, Pittsburgh, Johnstown, Allentown, or Philadelphia. Must be willing to travel regularly to other member sites and to Harrisburg.
● Demonstrated success as a strategic and solutions-oriented thinker, with track record of understanding how to build partnerships across a diverse coalition.
● Recognized expertise in range of written and verbal communications efforts.
● Understanding of how policy and advocacy can effect meaningful change.
● Ability to multi-task in complex work environment with range of partners/stakeholders.
● At least five years of experience in education, policy, advocacy, government relations, law and/or nonprofits. Experience with youth development programs and opportunity youth represents a significant added bonus.
● Experience in fundraising and writing grants to foundations, local, state and federal bodies.
● Project management experience along with excellent attention to detail and analytical skills.
● Strong commitment to the YB PA Coalition’s mission.
● Bachelor’s degree in public policy, public administration, or related field. Advanced degree or JD preferred.
Benefits and Salary:
YB PA Coalition provides a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical benefits and paid time off. Starting salary is negotiable and depends on experience and education level. The Coalition Directors plan to offer an initial 9-month contract position, with full benefits. Based on successful progress during the initial contract, the Coalition plans to move the Director to a full-time employee.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Annette Ortiz at email@example.com with the words “State Coalition Director” in the subject line. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.
- AmeriCorps VISTA Leader, National Nurse-Led Care Consortium (NNCC) – May 1
- Program Coordinator I, Institute for Empowering Equitable Education in STEM (E3)
- Assistant Director, Institute for Empowering Equitable Education in STEM (E3)
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.