Chief Schools Officer, School District of Philadelphia
Posted by School District of Philadelphia on January 7, 2020
Reporting directly to the Superintendent, the Chief Schools Officer (CSO) is responsible for managing and developing the District’s Assistant Superintendents to ensure the academic progress and success of the more than 215 schools in the District.
Through his/her work with the Assistant Superintendents, the CSO ensures implementation of programs and actions to improve the educational outcomes of students as identified in the District’s Action Plan. The CSO supports, guides and supervises the 10-15 Assistant Superintendents who in turn ensure that their principals are growing and developing as instructional leaders. An essential function of this job is providing consistent feedback and accountability expectations to the Assistant Superintendents.
The CSO partners closely with the Office of Academic Supports, the Office of Talent, and the Office of Student Supports in the development of programs to serve the different school types, the identification of short- and long-term goals, and the direction of resources and supports to create academic improvement in every school. The CSO will be held accountable for steady, annual progress in student outcomes as measured by the District’s School Progress Report (SPR). The CSO will work collaboratively with the Office of Evaluation Research and Accountability and the Superintendent’s Office throughout the year to implement a performance management system to drive towards annual goals. The ability to guide continuous improvement through the review and analysis of school-level and systems-level data is an essential function of this job.
- Serves on the Superintendent’s cabinet, representing the voice of Assistant Superintendents in district decision-making.
- Directly manages, supervises, develops and evaluates 10-15 Assistant Superintendents, ensuring that these Assistant Superintendents effectively manage, coach and mentor school leaders in ways that drive continuous student achievement gains.
- Helps Assistant Superintendents to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of their leadership, ensuring strategies are principal-focused and designed to grow principals’ skills.
- Partners closely with the Office of Talent, Office of Academic Supports and Office of Student Supports to create and implement the strategic professional development plan for the District’s Principals and Assistant Superintendents.
- Facilitates and promotes consistent practices and routines that Assistant Superintendents use across learning networks to support Principals.
- Creates collaboration among Assistant Superintendents and networks.
- Guides, supports, and holds accountable Assistant Superintendents in their development and execution of their annual goals.
- Partners closely with the Office of Talent to support the Assistant Superintendents in recruiting, identifying, and promoting excellent Principals.
- Works closely with fellow cabinet members and central office staff to ensure there is successful implementation of school-level initiatives designed to improve the educational outcomes of students as identified in the District’s Action Plan.
- Contributes to the implementation of effective frameworks and methods for evaluating Principals.
- Actively participates in the District’s key system-wide initiatives, such as the annual System of Great Schools process, providing information to support the process, guidance to Assistant Superintendents regarding school level recommendations and leadership to help make and implement school and system level decisions.
- Deputy Executive Director of Place-Based Initiatives, City of Philadelphia
- Transforming Justice Hub Facilitator, CORA
- Data Analyst, Defender Association of Philadelphia
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.