Celebrate Disability Pride Month with Pulitzer Center-Supported Reporting
Posted by Pulitzer Center on July 20, 2021
July is Disability Pride Month! Join us in celebrating by uplifting stories highlighting the diverse experiences of the disabled community. Join us in celebrating by uplifting stories about the diverse experiences of people with disabilities—and by recommitting to learning, allyship, and solidarity with our students, colleagues, and community members with differing abilities.
Here is a selection of reporting centering the empowerment and joy of people with disabilities:
- Victoria’s Foil: This short documentary tells the story of 22-year-old wheelchair fencer Victoria Isaacson, on a multi-year journey to compete in the 2021 Paralympics.
- When Faced with Distance Learning, Julien Thrives: This illustrated video follows Julien Palafax, a student in San Francisco Unified School District’s program for students with moderate to severe disabilities, and his experience with virtual school during the pandemic.
- Seeing Disability: Individuals with Disabilities Seek Representation on Screen: This story explores how disabled activists and allies are pushing to gain more access, inclusion, and accurate representation in Hollywood.
- Making Online Education Accessible to All in Nigeria: This story addresses how NGOs and ed-tech companies have worked to provide needed interventions to ensure that all students can access continued learning during school closures, regardless of their status, ability, or gender.
- No More Saving Face: Empowering Asian-American Women to Seek Mental Health Treatment: This story profiles the Asian Women’s Action for Resilience and Empowerment (AWARE) project, which offers culturally responsive group psychotherapy for Chinese-, Korean-, and Vietnamese-American women, and celebrates the women’s power and resilience.
More in "New Resources"
- New Study: State Spending on Poverty Really Pays Off for Kids
- How to Better Serve Latino Students
- Student Voting Resources, Campus Compact
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.