Career Pathway Specialist, Philadelphia Academies
Posted by Philadelphia Academies on August 20, 2018
Philadelphia Academies, Inc.: We connect students to industry, and industry to schools. Philadelphia Academies, Inc. is a non-profit whose mission is to design and implement industry informed, career-connected learning strategies for schools that position young people for success in postsecondary education and the workforce. Founded in 1969, PAI’s initial work was the creation and implementation of Career Academies, a specific model of career-connected learning that has since been put into action in over 8,000 schools nationally. While still supporting the Academy Model, PAI has recently created a more diverse portfolio of career-connected services including Work-Based Learning (WBL), Career Pathways and Pre-Apprenticeship Bridge Programs. By partnering with schools on one hand and Industry and Post-Secondary Institutions on the other, PAI seeks to support students and teachers as we envision a world where all young people have the skills, resources, and networks to reach their full potential.
Position: Career Pathway Specialist (Full-Time)
Reports To: Director of Career Pathway Strategies
The Career Pathway Specialist is responsible for working with schools, teachers, and industry partners to support existing career pathways as well as to develop new pathways in PAI’s partner schools. They will also work directly with PAI’s new Pre-Apprenticeship Bridge program, supporting students and teachers in 3 CTE Programs through a 3-year pilot intended to better prepare students to graduate into successful careers in welding, electrical and carpentry trades. Additionally, this person will serve as a support staff in PAI’s role in the STEAM Scholars program. The Career Pathway Specialist is a key member of the PAI team, coordinating with fellow staff and outside partners to ensure schools are empowered to develop and grow thematic and CTE pathways in high-priority occupation areas.
The ideal candidate for this position will be proactive, detail oriented, an excellent communicator, flexible, positive, and a team player who is passionate about developing relationships and opportunities for learning between teachers, students and business partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• In partnership with the Director of Career Pathway Strategies, research, develop and grow new Career Pathways at partner schools.
• Oversee the launch of PAI’s Pre-Apprenticeship Bridge Program, working with partners, teachers and students to deepen learning, build industry partnerships, create individualized student career plans, document and record vital and detailed program data, track students one year post-graduation, etc.
• Serve as support staff in the STEAM Scholars program, coordinating activities including Work-Based Learning and other workshops that broaden student’s knowledge and soft skills, integrating business partners within an existing Makers Space in a partner school, and serve as a thought partner and support for program expansion and replication.
• In partnership with the Director of Career Pathways Strategies and Fund Development Manager, maintain all support materials, records and documentation needed to fulfill grant application and reporting requirements for the programs with which they are involved.
• Along with all PAI staff, support PAI’s annual fundraising event by being present at the after-hours fundraiser, helping with set-up, clean-up and other activities as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in related field.
• Experience working with high school students and/or staff, preferably in an urban context.
• Experience working with schools and/or industry partners to develop curriculum or career-connected learning experiences preferred.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Self-motivated, with a demonstrated ability to take initiative, anticipate needs and exercise independent, sound judgement.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate and engage with colleagues as well as outside partners.
• Strong time-management skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and function in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
Please submit a cover letter with salary requirements, a resume and three professional references to Kriya Roundtree, Admin/HR Specialist: KRoundtree@academiesinc.org
NOTE: Applicants MUST submit a cover letter with salary requirements to be considered.
Please, NO phone calls and NO walk-ins
- Community Outreach Coordinator (Part-Time), OCCCDA
- After School Literacy and Math Instructors, 21st Century Community Learning Center
- Bi-Lingual Family Ambassador (Chinese-Mandarin), OCCCDA
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.