Career Advisor Position, YESPhilly
Posted by on July 29, 2013
YESPhilly (aka Youth Empowerment Services) seeks a Career Advisor with youth development and labor market experience who can both prepare students for the world of work and establish trusting and collaborative relationships with employers in order to assist our students in finding competitive employment.
The Career Advisor will join a team of professionals providing opportunities to over 200 young adults ages 16-21 who are participating in the YESPhilly School or the YESPhilly GED program and preparing for college and careers. Our programs include a comprehensive educational experience, media arts and technology skills, and counseling/case management services. The Career Advisor will provide job readiness training, develop internship and job opportunities, and assist students in finding employment,
The Career Advisor will be responsible for assessing students job readiness; preparing and facilitating job readiness and life skills classes; researching local labor market opportunities; develop ing internship and employment opportunities for YESPhilly students; placing students in these opportunities and following up on their experience; documenting student employability skills, work experience and employment status; and building relationships with local public and private employer groups . S/he is supervised by the Director of Operations and works in close collaboration with the College Advisor and the YESPhilly School and GED Program staff to ensure that all YESPhilly students are progressing toward employment.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate young adults in a learner-centered, alternative educational setting
- Understanding of local and labor market issues and trends
- Proven track record in job placement with young adults, including low literacy learners
- Proven track record managing employer relations
- Proven track record facilitating groups and developing lesson plans for young adults, including low literacy learners
- Team player with excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong computer and technology skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines
- BA/BS degree
- PA Child Abuse, FBI Criminal Background and Fingerprint checks are required.
Salary: $40,000 with benefits
Start Date: must be available to start early to mid August 2013
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter with your name and Career Advisor in the subject line to email@example.com. We will only review resumes submitted through this site and will not review other email, phone or mail submissions.
YESPhilly is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
- Communications and Outreach Coordinator, Pendle Hill – Jul 18
- Annual Fund Officer, Pendle Hill – Jul 20
- TRiO College Access Program Coordinator, Phila. Education Fund
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.