Campus Philly’s First-Gen Journal: Stories, Advice, and Resources from First-Generation Students
Posted by Campus Philly on March 15, 2022
Being a first-generation college student comes with new territory, experiences, challenges—and a unique story. We had the chance to chat with four first-generation college students and recent grads about their experience as a first-gen college student in the Greater Philadelphia region!
Here you’ll find their “journal entries” about navigating college applications, joining clubs and the right programs, and other advice on how you can better prepare for college as a first-gen student.
Some of the questions answered by the students include:
- Are you from the Philadelphia area, or did you move here? What connects you to the Philly area? Tell us your “Philly story.”
- How did you balance going to school, having a social life, and working towards a career while in college?
- As a first-gen student, how was the application process while applying to schools?
- Were you a part of any first-generation programs or clubs? What was your experience like?
- What is some advice you would share with first-generation students who are just beginning their college journey?
More in "New Resources"
- New Book: Reframing Community Engagement in Higher Education
- Access to free COVID vaccine for uninsured and underinsured Philadelphians
- Poverty Fueled Pandemic Impact on Schools’ Chronic Absenteeism
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.