Call for Summer of Service research and materials
Posted by on September 29, 2008
Innovations in Civic Participation (ICP), a Washington DC-based think tank on global youth service, is collecting materials on Summer of Service programs and is looking for your help.
In 2005, ICP published a report entitled “Summer of Service: A new American Rite of Passage?” that proposes a national “Summer of Service” (SOS) program to help communities create positive alternatives for young teens during summer vacation. SOS would enable a large number of young teens to participate in service as a “rite of passage” from middle to high school and provide opportunities for them to enter their teenage years with a positive experience that reinforces their connections to the community, enlivens their education, and strengthens their personal and civic values. At the same time, communities across America might find an important new resource in their own backyards – young people who are ready to serve, if only they are asked and provided the opportunity to serve. To read the full Summer of Service Report, click here (http://www.icicp.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/1705)
As part of our continued efforts to support SOS, ICP is currently constructing an online Summer of Service Resource Center. Our goals are to:
· Enhance the quality of existing Summer of Service programming around the US;
· Support the development of new, scaleable models for Summer of Service programs;
· Provide information on SOS legislation and policy development; and
· Develop and support a community of practice around Summer of Service programming.
The Summer of Service Resource Center will provide a forum for information exchange on program design, implementation and evaluation. It will include:
· Tools for program design and evaluation
· Summaries of successful practices and lessons learned
· The latest case studies
· News about funding opportunities and resources
· Policy developments
· A database of existing Summer of Service Programs
We are looking for any materials related to Summer of Service – research, evaluations, program examples, effective practices, etc. These can also be on subjects related to Summer of Service, such as service-learning, middle school youth, at-risk youth, building partnerships, etc.
If you or your organization have any materials to contribute, please contact Jean Manney at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “SOS Materials”.
- College Leadership Summit – Nov 5
- IARSLCE 2021 Virtual Gathering: Reflections on a Tumultuous Time and an Invitation to Gather – Nov 15-17
- Call for Proposals: Pathways to Achieving Civic Engagement (PACE) Conference – Nov 10
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.