Call for Nominations: The K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award
Deadline for receipt of materials: October 1, 2019
The K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award recognizes graduate students who show exemplary promise as future leaders of higher education; who demonstrate a commitment to developing academic and civic responsibility in themselves and others; and whose work reflects a strong emphasis on teaching and learning. (Information about past recipients of the Cross Award is available here.)
The award honors the work of K. Patricia Cross, Professor Emerita of Higher Education at the University of California, Berkeley. Throughout her career, Pat Cross helped the higher education community better understand our students, their characteristics, and their needs, and recognize what our responsibilities should be. Her ground-breaking scholarship paved the way for a legacy of work on age, socioeconomic class, gender, race, sexual orientation, and numerous other aspects of intersectional social identity.
Please visit our site for complete information.
All doctoral level graduate students who are planning a career in higher education are eligible, regardless of academic discipline. Graduate students in fields where the Master’s degree is the terminal degree, such as the MFA in art, are also eligible. (Nominees must hold student status in January 2020.)
Applicants must demonstrate:
1. Leadership ability or potential for exercising leadership in teaching and learning, with a strong commitment to academic and civic responsibility; and
2. Leadership or potential leadership in the development of others as leaders, scholars, and citizens.
A faculty member or administrator must nominate the student, with a supporting letter from a second faculty member or administrator. The following materials must be submitted for an application to be considered:
1. Nomination letter from a faculty member or administrator;
2. Supporting letter from a second faculty member or administrator;
3. Statement from the student indicating how he or she meets the award criteria;
4. A copy of the student’s curriculum vitae.
Nominations can be submitted anytime, but no later than October 1, 2019. Nominees must also complete an online form with all nomination materials. Only complete nominations will be considered. AAC&U is moving to an online nomination process beginning with the 2020 Cross Award. Detailed instructions for how to upload nomination materials will be posted by August 1.
The K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award provides financial support for graduate students to attend AAC&U’s 2020 Annual Meeting, which will be held in Washington, DC, January 22–25, 2020. All award recipients are required to attend the conference.
The award includes travel, lodging, conference registration, and a one-year affiliation with AAC&U, including subscriptions to all AAC&U periodicals.
The awards will be announced in December 2019, and recognized at AAC&U’s Annual Meeting in January.
More in "Miscellaneous"
- Webinar Series: Community Building Institute – Mar 21
- University-Assisted Community School Partnership (UACS) Workshop Series and Community of Practice Survey
- PIDC-D’Alessio Scholarship for Urban Development (for Graduate Students) – Mar 31
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.