Call for Abstracts: Dimensions of Political Ecology: Creative Community-Engaged Pedagogy in Political Ecology – Dec 15
Posted by University of Kentucky on November 28, 2023
Consider submitting an abstract for a session on creative community-engaged pedagogy at Dimensions of Political Ecology (DOPE), February 22-24, 2024 at the University of Kentucky organized by Eric Goldfischer and Jenn Rice. We’d love to see presentations from folks doing cool service-learning work!
Community-engaged research and creative pedagogies flourish in many forms in higher education settings. From structured service-learning programs to community-based research classes and direct scholar-activist work with students, faculty and graduate students–when supported by their institutions, and sometimes when unsupported–work to create pedagogical settings focused on engaging students in struggles for socioecological justice. Yet in an environment of highly institutionalized ‘civic engagement’ and volunteerism-focused partnerships, meaningful community engagement often only becomes possible through creative pedagogy, when classrooms are able to go beyond the prescribed roles of “student” and “community partner” to create more liberatory and justice-minded encounters. In this session, we want to hear from faculty utilizing creative methods to implement community-engaged pedagogy in a political ecology setting. This might include, but not be limited to:
- Community-based research and/or creative pedagogy partnerships that involve students
- Collaborations between students from different disciplinary backgrounds (i.e. environmental science and urban studies) with a political ecological focus
- Critical service learning programs
- Popular education and its usage in teaching political ecology
We welcome work-in-progress alongside more traditional papers, and are also excited to see demonstrations of creative pedagogy in action from folks at all stages of their careers.
Please submit your abstracts to Eric Goldfischer at Eric.Goldfischer@qc.cuny.edu by 15 December 2023.
Please reach out to Eric with any questions.
- Institute on Project-Based Learning – Jun 20-22
- Call for Proposals: Beyond the Classroom: Deepening Campus Community Partnerships – Mar 6
- Applications Open: Virtual Institute on Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Centers – Mar 28
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.