Business Specialist, Nueva Esperanza
Posted by on April 21, 2014
Business Specialist, Nueva Esperanza, Inc./ Esperanza
Posted on: April 9, 2014
Esperanza College of Eastern University seeks a Business Specialist who will provide overall guidance and planning for the Business Program, including curriculum development, program quality assessment, general student advisement and services, community outreach and a part time teaching role for the Business Program.
Esperanza College is a partnership between Esperanza and Eastern University. The college is located in a primarily Latino community in eastern North Philadelphia, just south of US Route 1, the Roosevelt Boulevard. Esperanza College offers a two-year liberal arts education culminating in an Associate in Arts degree with concentrations in Community and Human Services, Accounting, Middle Level Education with a Math or Science concentration, Early Childhood Education, Criminal Justice, and Medical Assisting.
- Provides overall guidance and management of the Business Program
- Provides quality assessment and recommends specific improvements in the Business Program in accordance with a well-designed strategic plan that complies with the standards of the Middle States of Higher Education.
- Recommends changes in the curriculum to the dean.
- Provides coordination between similar programs and pathway programs within Eastern University.
- Assists the dean in identifying candidates and hiring faculty for the Business Program.
- Conducts outreach to other institutions, including the corporate community and the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to create partnerships that can provide mentoring, field experience, and career pathways for Esperanza students or opportunities for the college to expand the Business Program.
- Serves as academic adviser to students in the Business Program.
- Assists the college registrar with clearance for graduation of students in the Business program.
- Initiates and follows up on activities related to retention of students. Coordinates retention activities with other members of the Esperanza College staff.
- Teaches several courses per academic semester.
- Supervises and provides guidance to other instructors (primarily adjunct) of the Business courses.
- Serves as a liaison with faculty, academic institutions, employers and the surrounding community towards the establishment of collaborative relationships particularly with regard to the Business Program.
The successful candidate will have:
- A personal understanding of, and ability to operate in concert with, the Mission and Doctrinal statements of the University are required.
- Familiarity with the educational needs and cultural dynamics of multicultural students, especially Latinos/as.
- Ability to provide culturally sensitive and spiritually centered guidance to diverse student body.
- Keen attention to detail, effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, the ability to take initiative and strong customer service skills are essential.
- Substantial experience in the field of business, including student academic planning is preferred.
- Master’s degree is required in the field of business.
- Enthusiasm and a desire to work with a team of colleagues are essential.
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office, Excel spreadsheets, word processing, Access, Power Point, Internet and e mail) is required.
- Must be bilingual (fluent in written and spoken English and Spanish).
- Must be willing to work at the Esperanza College campus in Philadelphia.
- Data Analyst, Defender Association of Philadelphia
- Culinary Medicine Dietitian, Vetri Community Partnership
- Learn more about Rebuild’s skilled trades Winter 2024 academies – Jan 9
Stay Current in Philly's Higher Education and Nonprofit Sector
We compile a weekly email with local events, resources, national conferences, calls for proposals, grant, volunteer and job opportunities in the higher education and nonprofit sectors.